Employee Relations Manager
Employee Relations Manager
Office of Human Resources
Exempt, Regular, 100% Full Time, Pay Grade 3.3
University of Maryland University College seeks an Employee Relations Manager. Reporting to the Director of Employee Relations, the Employee Relations Manager will work closely with the Director of Employee Relations to provide day-to-day guidance to managers and employees on the interpretation and application of policies and procedures and a Memorandum of Understanding.
In addition, the ER Manager will be responsible for ensuring that the employee relations function supports the University's mission, goals, and strategic objectives, remain compliant with all relevant federal and state laws and regulations, and serve the overall best interests of the institution.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Coaches and guides supervisors on the interpretation and application of human resources policies, procedures, and practices to ensure consistent application and compliance with federal and state law and regulations.
- Prepares correspondence, spreadsheets, and a variety of standard and specialized reports of varying complexity, researches and analyzes information, and conducts and completes surveys.
- Manages and maintains file and record systems.
- Maintains effective working relationships with other departments, internal and external to the University.
- Assists with labor contract negotiations and coordination of implementing settlement and release agreements.
- Assists in the review and resolution of employment conflict and disputes.
- Assists with preparing material and conducting training of supervisory personnel in matters pertaining to disciplinary actions, grievance procedures and labor contract agreements.
- Manages and resolves grievance and appeals in accordance to University policies and procedures.
- Makes recommendations for changes to existing policies to ensure compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.
- Assists with employment investigations and the facilitation of reasonable accommodation requests.
- Performs other duties as assigned and required.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Three (3) to Five (5) years of HR experience with an emphasis in the area of employee relations
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in human resources management or related field, from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Knowledge of FLSA, ADA, FMLA, NLRA, and other HR related laws and regulations
- Strong communication and intrapersonal/interpersonal skills
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Supervisory experience
- Experience in coaching managers and employees, mediating disputes, conducting and/or facilitating grievance hearings, training workshops, disciplinary meetings, and conducting investigations
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.