Public Affairs Specialist
75% or less - You may be required to travel to a disaster site during increased disaster activity for extended periods with little or no advanced notice. If so, you may encounter hazardous working and/or living conditions; i.e., no water or electricity and/or minimal lodging facilities. Travel expenses are compensated based on SBA policy and Federal regulations
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
You must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
You may qualify based on experience, education or a combination of both.
To receive credit, you must indicate the month and year as well as the average hours worked per week for each employer. Average work hours must be stated on resume to quantify each period of work experience or that experience will not be credited toward meeting the specialized experience requirement.
You must address the specific specialized experience required for each grade level of this position on your resume or application or you will be rated "Ineligible" for that grade level.
GS-09: To qualify you must have at least 1 full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the GS-07 level in the Federal service that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skill, and ability to perform successfully in this position. This experience may have been gained in a Non-Federal service position. In addition, this Specialized Experience must demonstrate the following:
- Planning, organizing and/or preparing various communications, such as press releases, presentations, articles, photos, flyers, etc. for dissemination to the media or public audiences or assisting with this function; AND
- Explaining an organization's programs, policies and procedures to the media, government/pubic officials, business leadership or the general public; AND
- Reviewing and/or preparing business financial documents such as tax returns, income (profit and loss) statements, balance sheets, cash flow statements and/or schedules of liabilities for multiple home or business ownership structures such as sole proprietorships, corporations, partnerships and/or Limited Liability Companies (LLCs). You must specify the financial documents and business ownership structures in your resume to receive credit.
If qualifying based on education, you must submit transcripts by the closing date of this announcement or you will not be found eligible.
GS-09: Must have a master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B or J.D degree, if related.
A combination of experience and education as indicated above.
If selected for this position, you will be eligible for benefits. The above link is provided for your reference to explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The Small Business Administration is committed to building a high-performing, 21st century workforce that possesses the following core attributes: cultural astuteness, technological proficiency, articulate, strong writing capabilities, superior conflict resolution skills, and exceptional presentation skills. Candidates should be prepared as they may be further evaluated on these attributes throughout the application and selection process.
For this vacancy, the Office of Disaster Personnel will use a Category Rating system to refer qualified applicants for consideration. This is a three-step process. First, your resume or other application is evaluated to determine if you meet the Qualifications, including the Specialized Experience described above, for the grade level(s) that you are applying for. Secondly, if you meet the minimum qualifications requirements, your responses to the questionnaire, including narrative responses, if applicable, will be compared to your resume or other application. If your resume does not support the answers you gave on the questionnaire, you may be rated "Ineligible" or you may be placed in a lower category. Third, your name will be placed in one of the three following categories:
- Best-Qualified - highly proficient with an overall comprehensive level of knowledge, skills and abilities related to this position.
- Well-Qualified - competent in the position with an overall accomplished level of knowledge, skills and abilities related to this position.
- Qualified - an overall basic level of knowledge, skills and abilities related to this position.
For this position, disabled veterans who meet minimum qualifications for this position and have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% (CPS & CP) are placed at the top of the Best-Qualified category regardless of which category they would otherwise be assigned to.
Preference eligibles who do not have a service-connected disability of 10% or more (XP or TP) are placed at the top of their quality category.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Communications and Media, Customer Service, Manages and Organizes Information, and Organizational Awareness Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation