Senior Business Manager - Office of Advancement
Senior Business Manager - Office of Advancement
The Office of Advancement advances the mission of Georgetown through fundraising and alumni engagement activities. The office has many departments including event planning, fundraising, volunteer management, communications, data management, and analytics.
The Senior Business Manager supervises the Business Operations Unit of the Office of Advancement, including General Business Managers who provide a broad range of customer service, operational and financial support for the Office of Advancement. Reporting to the Senior Director of Budget and Business Operations, the Senior Business Manager has duties that include but are not limited to:
Financial Operations and Business Operations
- Oversees General Business Manager's staff, following financial operations activity-reimbursements and other financial operations activity including the reconciliation and reporting of all gift accounts and activity.
- Manages efficient workflow and processing of financial activity such as payments to staff and vendors and other financial activities.
- Ensures timely compliance to GU financial policies and procedures, including the monthly reconciliation of center status reports and ProCard statement activity.
- Supervises all accounting functions performed by Business Operations Staff to ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Generally Accepted Auditing Standards.
- Conducts annual financial audits in the review of financial operations activity and procedures.
- Prepares and submits online accounting entries (payroll and non-payroll) to include year-end accrual entries, corrections, and adjustments.
- Ensures that all prior year activity gets reflected in year-end closing.
- Requests and approves financial access for new staff with budget responsibilities and adjusts access for existing users.
- Prepares and requests new cost center requests plus budget revisions/amendments.
Financial Analysis & Reporting and Budget Development
- Conducts and monitors all Advancement financial activity, prepares and reports on status of financial position, and meets with budget managers on regular basis and alerts them (and Senior Director) of budget problems and opportunities.
- Analyzes, reports, and distributes monthly, quarterly, and annual financial activity.
- Prepares and submits original and current approved annual budget plans - as well as the annual 4-year financial plan.
- Plans, develops, and manages the Advancement operating and special funds budgets, including comprehensive campaign needs assessments and staffing plans.
- Prepares and submits required/requested benchmarking and institutional survey reports.
- Develops, communicates, and enforces departmental financial policies and procedures.
- Prepares necessary financial reports to comply with several annual audits -- Alumni Association, Tax Department, Property Accounting, Operational Audits, and other regulatory requirements and audits.
- Serves as Cost Center Manager approving AP and expense transactions up to $2,500.00, and initiating requisitions, expense reports, and journals.
- Provides budget and financial training to staff.
- Manages the accounting and recording of each vendor contract for status/tracking, complying with Tax Department requirements.
- Tracks contracts through the contract review process and works with Advancement Finance and GU offices to review contracts.
- Collaborates with University Finance Departments, Purchasing/Contracts, and Accounts Payable departments on improving overall contracts and payment processes.
- Trains and educates Advancement users on contracts policies and procedures to ensure compliance and efficient review of contracts.
- Prioritizes contracts and arranges for rush checks and special pickup (FedEx delivery) when appropriate, paying particular attention to special contractual and business relationships.
- Bachelor's degree; Master's degree in Finance, Accounting or equivalent combination of training and experience preferred
- Four years of finance and accounting experience, with preference in higher education and non-profit environment
- Superior skills and expertise in finance and accounting
- High level of familiarity with Excel and Contract Management experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Experience with financial management software and pivot tables/data downloads, as well as high-level Excel spreadsheet skills
- Proven skills in leadership and independent thinking with superior attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and be flexible in adjusting the focus when needed
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, as well as diplomatic and time management skills
- Ability and willingness to exercise “emotional intelligence” since position has access to confidential and sensitive information
- Experience in Workday a plus
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.