Library Specialist II
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : $38,000.00
Web Announcement :
Library Specialist II, Student Coordinator
The George Mason University Libraries Access Services Department is looking for an enthusiastic, experienced, and service-oriented individual to support the operations of the Fenwick Library as an evening Student Coordinator. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: This position is responsible for providing courteous customer service to patrons at the Fenwick Library Circulation Desk; answers informational and basic reference questions; supervises up to 20 student employees and one full-time Library Specialist; responsible for interviewing, hiring, training and management of all Access Services student workers on the Fairfax campus.
The Student Coordinator will work an alternative schedule to include evenings and weekends, is responsible for closing the Fenwick Library at 12:00 midnight, working Sunday through Thursday.
Required Qualifications: Applicants must have the following:
- Library public services experience, particularly circulation services;
- Demonstrated successful experience supervising staff and/or student employees;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with current library systems (such as Voyager) and research resources (such as EBSCO, JSTOR, ProQuest, etc.);
- Aptitude for accurate and detail-oriented work;
- Solid organizational skills, including ability to manage competing priorities for self and others, meet deadlines, and exercise good judgment;
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) for providing customer service in a diverse, academic environment and for interacting with library staff, faculty, students, and members of the public;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, production and service-oriented environment;
- Ability to identify and modify work priorities as needed or directed;
- Physical ability to safely and independently bend and reach overhead, to grasp and move library materials, to move and unpack packages and bins (up to 40 pounds), and to push loaded book trucks;
- Ability to remain calm and arrive at fair and equitable solutions in a customer service environment; and
- Bachelorâ€™s degree, or an equivalent combination of education and/or equivalent library experience.
Preferred Qualifications: The following education and/or skill sets are preferred:
- Bachelorâ€™s degree;
- Significant experience working in an academic library;
- Experience providing reference service and/or library instruction in an academic library;
- Successful experience training and mentoring staff members and student employees in a library setting; and
- Experience hiring and managing federal Work-Study students.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date : 2018-03-30