Marine Conservation beyond Protected Areas Intern
7 days left
- Full Time
MARINE CONSERVATION BEYOND PROTECTED AREAS INTERN
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Diverse strategies are employed globally to conserve biodiversity, but assessments of conservation progress and performance almost universally focus upon national parks and other protected areas. To advance scientific understanding and inform conservation decision-making, this project will document and describe the use of conservation strategies beyond protected areas.
Review of applications will begin on March 26, 2018
The Social Science team at Conservation International seeks an enthusiastic and creative intern to assist a global review of locally managed marine areas and other area-based conservation beyond marine protected areas. The intern will:
As the foundation for scientific publication, project outputs will include maps, graphs, spatial datasets, statistical analyses, and an annotated bibliography. The social science team will help the intern develop further master’s project/thesis topic if the research interests converge.
- Typical office environment.
- Graduate training in the social sciences, natural resource management/conservation, or related field. Preference will be given to candidates who will use the research as part of their graduate thesis.
- Experience with GIS.
- Strong qualitative research skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Familiarity with coastal and marine biodiversity conservation in developing countries.
- Foreign language skills.
- Experience with EndNote or other reference management software.
- Experience with database management.
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter.
Conservation International is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer of minorities, females, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of CI to afford equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. CI offers reasonable accommodation in the employment process for individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. If you require an application accommodation due to a disability, please e-mail your request to email@example.com and include "accommodation" in the subject line.