Intern, Global Synthesis
GLOBAL SYNTHESIS INTERN
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Conservation International (CI) is seeking candidates for a paid internship within the Global Synthesis team, housed in CI's Moore Center for Science (MCS), to help understand and synthesize connections among biodiversity, livelihoods, commodities, supply chains, and resilience. The intern will provide overarching support for two projects: The first project, The Resilience Atlas, is a tool linking land degradation with social and geophysical data in order to understand how degradation may influence the resilience of communities to stressors and shocks like drought, flooding, and storm surge, as well as to assess the potential effects of these stressors and shocks on biodiversity and ecosystems. The second project, the Trase Initiative, aims to support and inform the implementation of deforestation-free commodities and generate unprecedented supply chain transparency, by elucidating the linkages between commodity production, forests, and global supply chain actors.
The intern will work with Global Synthesis Team scientists to assemble, process, archive and create appropriate metadata for a variety of datasets:
- In support of The Resilience Atlas, which guides users through a data-driven decision-making process and has been utilized in investment planning and climate policy work in several African and Asian countries, the intern will assist in strengthening and updating various underlying data components and create guidance/fact sheets outlining the step by step process for deriving policy-relevant insights from the Atlas.
- In support of the Trase Initiative (https://trase.earth), the intern will analyze and synthesize commodity supply chain data (i.e. Colombian coffee, Indonesian palm oil, Brazilian soy and beef) and relevant environmental and social indicators for specific producer groups, corporations, and importing countries, and create fact sheets that target relevant actors and commodities, in support of creating the enabling conditions for behavior change towards sustainable production.
- Typical office environment.
- Proficiency with Geographic Information System (GIS) software such as ArcGIS or Quantum GIS (QGIS).
- A background in conservation, geography, ecology, environmental science, or related fields preferred.
- Experience in data management in Microsoft Excel or R.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Preferred skills.
- Knowledge of SQL, Python or R Programming a plus.
- Basic understanding of remotely sensed imagery and raster datasets.
- Prior experience with web mapping platforms like Carto or ArcGIS Online.
- Ability to present at workshops and meetings and networking with partner organizations.
- Interest in exploratory research.
CI Values We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization. Passion: We are inspired by nature and cherish the diversity of life in all of its forms. Respect: We respect and trust each other, and we embrace our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences. Integrity: We act with integrity and are accountable for our actions. Optimism: We are optimistic about the future of life on Earth and are confident that, with our partners, we will achieve unprecedented conservation results. Courage: We tirelessly pursue our vision, taking bold action and persevering through challenges. Teamwork: We work together, recognizing that openness, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all. To apply please submit your resume and cover letter. Conservation International is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer of minorities, females, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of CI to afford equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. CI offers reasonable accommodation in the employment process for individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. If you require an application accommodation due to a disability, please e-mail your request to email@example.com and include "accommodation" in the subject line.