Director, IfD Customer Engagement (1065-679)
Summary of the Position:
The Director, Impurities for Development (IfD) Customer Engagement (CE) is a newly formed management position on the Customer Engagement Team designed to support SMPO’s Chem Meds PUT. The position will report to the VP, Global CE and is based in Rockville, MD with oversight of USP’s Global IfD sales. The Director will be responsible for ensuring proper preparation, training and launch of USP’s IfD service offering(s) through the Strategic Customer Development organization. The person assuming this position will be expected to work closely with USP’s Global SCD Management and their respective Account Managers to promote adoption of USP’s IfD services. The Director will work collaboratively with the USP IfD Marketing head and other relevant team members to address the needs of the customers while simultaneously acting as an advocate for the customer to ensure that the highest levels of service are being met through all IfD offerings. The Director will work closely with SCD management and CE stakeholder relationship management to ensure on-going account management and relevant customer information is effectively input into USP's Stakeholder Relationship Management System (SRMS). This position will interact with several cross-functional teams and as such, it is critical that the Director possess the collaborative skills necessary to succeed in a dynamic team environment. Finally, while the Director, IfD CE will not have specific account ownership, it is expected that the Director will participate on sales calls to execute activities that include, but are not limited to, assisting account managers with sales presentations, obtaining first-hand customer feedback on USP’s IfD service offerings, and will monitor, report on, and adjust tactics toward competitive response to USP’s new service offering.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Immediately create an IfD service & sales offering launch plan that is integrated in to the overall IfD marketing strategy; be100% launch ready July 1, 2018.
- Work closely with SCD Global leadership, CE Ops, IfD Mktg and SCD account managers to garner global perspective on project potential, develop target customer lists accompanied with relevant call planning to ensure that efficiency is incorporated in to all representative activities.
- Develop, monitor, and report on metrics associated with customer acquisition, retention and / or loss of customers. This information will assist IfD marketing in refining approach to demand generation and forecasting.
- The IfD CE Director will partner closely with Engagement Ops, IfD Marketing and Stakeholder Relationship Management to leverage CRM as the primary data capture tool. Data captured will be utilized to measure on-going effectiveness of the USP SCD account management team and other marketing channel efforts deployed by IfD Marketing through the CRM system.
- The Director, IfD must have the ability to analyze all data captured in a strategic and collaborative manner to ensure that on-going deployment of resources is fully maximized to ensure focus on prioritized IfD targets while maintaining established program profitability parameters
- Monitor and track industry trends. Set up mechanism to convey information to Science and Marketing when needed to ensure prioritization schemes are adjusted when necessary.
- Work with brand marketing to implement systems to measure brand awareness. Establish other agreed upon indicators / metrics to measure overall program success
- Act as a liaison for customer interactions between accounts and USP.
- Based in USP Rockville headquarters with 30-40 % travel (including ex US locations)
Bachelor’s degree in a business, marketing, finance, or related science field. Candidates with Bachelor’s degrees in science must possess successful track record in sales and sales leadership positions.
Minimum of 10 years of previous sales experience with at least 5 yrs. as a sales leader managing a team. Leadership experience modeling behavior in a matrixed organization required.
- Science background and understanding, with experience in pharmaceutical chemicals (synthesis), chemical sales and / or laboratory supplies is highly desired.
- Advanced degree preferred
- Out of the box thinker who is agile and solution oriented. Willing to stick to the plan but able to effectively position the need(s) for any deviations from stated plans
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to challenge the status quo
- Ability to create customer-focused business plans, can easily establish cross-functional relationships and has a strong track record of exceeding objectives.
- Ability to interpret and leverage various sets of data towards on-going business operations
- Effective at influencing peers, non-direct report customer teams and senior management
- Flexible; willing to collaborate and compromise to reach attainable solutions; incorporates lessons learned
- Motivated self-starter
- Strong understanding of and experience with all aspects of customer engagement.
- Ability to travel internationally when required
- Initial assignment: N/A
- Future: position may add direct reports as business begins to build. Important that Director, IfD CE has had prior leadership experience and has managed people directly.
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular