Communications and Publications Manager
Council of Graduate Schools (CGS)
Position Description: Communications and Publications Manager
Reports to: Vice President, Best Practices and Strategic Initiatives
The Council of Graduate Schools (CGS), a national higher education organization dedicated to the advancement of graduate education and research, is seeking a Communications and Publications Manager with a broad range of communications skills. Working closely with staff across the organization, our new staff member will contribute to the development of material for a variety of communications outlets, including publications, flyers, web copy, newsletters, social media, and webinars. An important component of this role is managing CGS’s schedule for updating publications with new information and recent data.
We seek a colleague with excellent writing and editing skills, an ability to shape clear and consistent messages, and an understanding of—or willingness to learn—the important issues shaping graduate education today. The person who fills this position will work closely with the Vice President of Best Practices and Strategic Initiatives and the Assistant Director, Communications.
- Work collaboratively with staff across the organization to ensure that CGS communications are strategic, timely and consistent with CGS messages.
- Manage the schedule for updating CGS publications, working with staff across the organization to ensure that our schedule for updating publications is met.
- Contribute to the development of material for CGS communications outlets, including publications, flyers, web copy, newsletters, press releases, webinars, and social media.
- Provide editing of short books and reports.
- Provide excellent first drafts of shorter communications (newsletters, web copy, etc.)
- Help develop and execute strategies for assessing the impact and reach of CGS communications and use resulting information to refine communications strategies.
- Assist the Assistant Director of Communications in maintaining a regular schedule of website updates.
- Assist with webinar planning and support.
- Support other programmatic activities as requested
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred.
- Five years of experience in communications. Especially desired: editing experience and digital communications experience.
- Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to tailor messaging to a wide range of audiences. The ability not only to edit, but also to provide high-quality first drafts of written materials, is especially valued.
- Collegial attitude and a willingness to collaborate across functions, flexibility to perform both high-level strategic thinking and daily management tasks.
- Interest in and familiarity with higher education (familiarity and experience with graduate education and/or membership organizations a plus).
- Demonstrated ability to develop and complete projects independently, respond in a timely manner, and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience in project coordination and management.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Proficiency with social media, MS Office, Adobe InDesign, and Google Analytics.
Starting salary range for this opening is up to $60k on an annual basis, DOQ. An excellent fringe benefits package complements the competitive compensation. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. The Council of Graduate Schools, (CGS) is an equal opportunity employer. This position will remain open on a continuous basis until filled. Specific questions regarding this employment opportunity should be addressed to Dr. Julia D. Kent at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application package for this opening should consist of a cover letter and current resume. To apply for this position, please submit the above listed required information to email@example.com.