Information Technology Specialist (Policy and Planning) (Recent Graduate)
Occasional travel - Up to 5% business travel required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Payment of moving expenses is authorized, subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations.
- Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years, a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution. Short-term training programs (e.g. several two-week programs completed) are not considered an academic course of study.
- Current students who will graduate no later than June 2018.
- Preference eligible veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their two-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed six years after degree or certificate completion.
Note: For Graduate Education all degrees and coursework must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions.
Graduate Education: Master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or a degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
Specialized Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. One year of specialized experience which includes assisting in the delivery of planning and management services applying cyber policies, principles, and practices; or, assisting in utilizing computer networking concepts and protocols, and network security methodologies; or, assisting in matching the appropriate knowledge repository technology to a given application or environment; or, assisting in providing technical support to customer problems. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the second lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-07).
AND (In addition to the specialized experience above):
Applicants qualifying based on experience must also demonstrate they have IT-related experience in each of the four competencies listed below:
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Information Management
- Information Systems/Network Security
- Information Technology Policy and Planning
- Oral Communication
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- If selected, official college or university transcripts must be submitted. However, unofficial transcripts must be submitted at the time of application.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) #34 position.
- Noncompetitive promotion potential to target grade. This recruitment provides promotion opportunity to the target grade of the position without further competition when selectee is eligible and recommended by management.
- Incumbent works under closer supervision and works in a developmental capacity performing assignments and completing training, both of which are aimed in preparing the incumbent to gain the knowledge and skills necessary to perform the duties outlined in the aforementioned job description. The incumbent receives progressively more responsible assignments as experience and training are received to the next higher level position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
To be eligible for conversion to a permanent or term position, Recent Graduates must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Successfully complete all the requirements of the Recent Graduate Program as defined in the Agency Participant Agreement.
- Demonstrate successful job performance.
- Meet the Office of Personnel Management qualification standard including any applicable positive education requirements and/or selection placement factors and any other designated special qualifications requirements and conditions of employment (e.g. medical standards) appropriate for the position to which being converted.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of two quality categories: Ideal Candidate and Eligible Candidate. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Ideal: This category will be used for those candidates who meet the definition of an ideal candidate as described above. Criteria include Information Management, Information Technology Policy and Planning, Information Systems/Network Security, and Oral Communication.
- Eligible: This category will be used for those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications of the position.