Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
US Citizenship or National (Residents of American Samoa and Swains Island)
Complete the initial online assessment and USAHire Assessment, if required
Register with the Selective Service, if you are a male born after 12/31/1959
If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- Receive authorization from OPM on any job offer you receive, if you are or were (within the last 5 years) a Schedule A, Schedule C, or non-career SES political appointee
- Undergo and pass a background investigation (Tier 2 investigation level).
- Have your identity and work status eligibility verified if you are not a GSA employee. We will use the Department of Homeland Security's e-Verify system for this. Any discrepancies must be resolved as condition of continued employment.
- Receive at least 40 hours of formal training directly linked to your employment field in addition to soft skill training
- Serve a trial period, which will allow your supervisor to evaluate your conduct and performance on the job and determine if our appointment will become final
- Sign a participant agreement
- Enjoy annual promotions for the first 2-3 years if you perform successfully
- the exact dates you held each job (from month/year to month/year)
- number of hours per week you worked (if part time).
For a brief video on creating a Federal resume, click here.
The salary range differs based on location. Salary ranges can be viewed here. If you are a new federal employee, your starting salary will likely be set at the Step 1 of the grade for which you are selected.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements by June 30, 2018.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR CONTRACT SPECIALIST POSITIONS:
A. A 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree with a major in any field; OR
B. At least 24 semester hours in any combination of the following fields: accounting, business, finance, law, contracts, purchasing, economics, industrial management, marketing, quantitative methods, or organization and management.
EXCEPTION: Employees in GS-1102 positions will be considered to have met the standard for positions they occupied on January 1, 2000. Employees who occupied GS positions at grades 5 through 12 will be considered to meet the basic requirements for other GS-1102 positions up to and including those classified at GS-12. This includes positions at other agencies and promotions up through grade 12. However, employees must meet specialized experience requirements when seeking another position.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AT THE GS-07 LEVEL: In addition to meeting the basic requirement (listed above), you must possess one of the following to qualify at the GS-07 level:
A. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-5 level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience performing routine or developmental contracting assignments such as monitoring contractor performance for compliance with contract requirements, planning or carrying-out pre-award and/or post-award procurement actions, and resolving common procurement-related issues or problems OR
B. EDUCATION: One full year of graduate level education or a master's or higher degree, e.g., LL.B., J.D., LL.M., PhD., in a field that provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work of a Contract Specialist OR
C. Superior Academic Achievement (SAA) at the baccalaureate level is fully qualifying at the GS-7 level. To claim SAA, submit documentation of one of the following:
- Class standing -- You must be in the upper third of your graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses.
- Grade-point average (rounded to one decimal point) of: (a) 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on your official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of your curriculum; OR (b) 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in your major field or the required courses in your major field completed during your final 2 years of the curriculum.
- Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society in one of the national scholastic honor societies listed by the Association of College Honor Societies.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AT THE GS-09 LEVEL: In addition to meeting the basic requirement (listed above), you must possess one of the following to qualify at the GS-09 level:
A. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-7 level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is defined as experience assisting in the performance of recurring and developmental contracting assignments using your organization's acquisition regulations and/or policies and must have demonstrated two or more of the following pre-award and/or post award processes:
- Using common contract vehicles (i.e. purchase orders, blanket purchase agreements, etc.) to plan and carry out acquisition actions;
- Evaluating vendor offers for both technical and price/cost factors to ensure best value to the organization/agency;
- Negotiating contracts, orders and/or modifications that are based upon previous examples/templates;
- Responding to and resolving common acquisition issues/questions OR
C. A combination of specialized experience and graduate level education as described in "A" and "B" above that, when combined, fulfills the requirements.
Bargaining Unit Status: Varies by location
If you are selected at a grade lower than the full performance level, you may be promoted up to that grade level without having to re-apply or compete against other applicants.
Relocation-related expenses are not approved and will be your responsibility.
Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed; through other means; or not at all.
Reasonable Accommodation Requests: If you believe you have a disability (i.e., physical or mental), covered by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended and Americans with Disabilities Act 1990 as amended, that would interfere with completing the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, you will be granted the opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation in your online application. Requests for Reasonable Accommodations for the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments and appropriate supporting documentation for Reasonable Accommodation must be received prior to starting the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. Decisions on requests for Reasonable Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis. If you meet the minimum qualifications of the position, after notification of the adjudication of your request, you will receive an email invitation to complete the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. You must complete all assessments within 48 hours of receiving the URL to access the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, if you received the link after the close of the announcement. To determine if you need a Reasonable Accommodation, please review the Procedures for Requesting a Reasonable Accommodation for Online Assessments here.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will use a method called Category Rating to assess your application. Here's how it will work:
- Your qualifications will be evaluated based on your responses to the online assessments completed during the application process. You will be assessed on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics): Accountability, Attention to Detail, Customer Service, Flexibility, Influencing/Negotiating, Integrity/Honesty, Interpersonal Skills, Learning, Self-Management, Stress Tolerance, Teamwork, Decision Making, Reading and Reasoning.
- Your answers to the questions will be used to place you in one of four categories: Superior, Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified.
- Within each category, veterans will receive selection priority over non-veterans.