Occasional travel - Occasional travel of less than 10% may be required for training and/or meetings.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Conditions of Employment:
- U.S. Citizenship is required for Federal employment.
- Time-in-Grade must be met by announcement close to be considered eligible.
- Selective Service registration required for certain males based on DOB.
- Background check to determine suitability for Federal employment.
- One year probationary period may be required.
- Must provide recent SF-50 showing tenure or CTAP eligibility documentation.
- Security and Background Requirements: Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. If hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Pre-employment physical required: NO
- Drug testing required: NO
- License required: NO
- Mobility agreement required: NO
- Immunization required: NO
- Bargaining Unit Position: NO
- Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives will require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government for a period of up to 3 years. Note: This statement does not imply nor guarantee an incentive will be offered and paid. Incentives include the following: student loan repayment.
Transcripts must be provided with your application for qualifications based on education. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package; however, official transcripts will be required prior to beginning employment. Most colleges and universities offer unofficial transcripts online - please check your school website to obtain a copy quickly. Your application or resume must clearly show that you possess the specialized experience requirements.
Specialized experience is defined as experience that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled and has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
GS-9: Applicant must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 grade level in the Federal service.
Specialized experience is defined as providing budgetary methods, practices, procedures, regulations, and other guides in order to perform routine, continuing assignments in the areas of budget formulation, presentation, and preparing narrative justification.
Have a master's or equivalent grade degree;
Have two (2) full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree;
Have a LL.B or J.D., if related;
Have a combination of graduate level education and specialized experience (as described above), which is equivalent to the GS-07 level in the Federal Service. This experience and education together meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
GS-11: Applicant must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-9 grade level in the Federal service.
Specialized experience is defined as providing technical advice and interpretations of budgetary process, policies, procedures, and directives to customers and/or management; assure budget estimates, projection, and submissions conform to requirements, guidelines and financial objectives; identify and resolve issues and problems to support ad-hoc budget inquires; deliver briefings and prepare status reports for budget initiatives.
Have a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
Have a three (3) full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree,
Have a LL.M. if related, from an accredited college or university.
Have a combination of graduate level education and specialized experience (as described above), which is equivalent to the GS-09 level in the Federal Service. This experience and education together meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the percentage of times the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
Who May Apply (in detail):
- Federal employees with career or career-conditional appointments in the competitive service;
- Former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility based on previous career or career-conditional appointments;
- Displaced Federal employees requesting special priority selection consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP);
- Veterans who are preference eligibles or who have been separated under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service;
- Military Spouses;
- PHS Commissioned Corps Officers;
- Individuals eligible for VRA appointments (at the GS-11 and below grade levels);
- Individuals with disabilities who quality for a Schedule A appointment.
YOU MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF THE MOST RECENT NOTIFICATION OF PERSONNEL ACTION, SF-50, THAT VERIFIES YOUR ELIGIBILITY FOR A COMPETITIVE PLACEMENT (I.E., FEDERAL STATUS AND TIME-IN GRADE), CTAP or COMMISSIONED CORPS DOCUMENTATION.
You must submit documentation to verify your eligibility to apply for this vacancy. For most applicants, an SF-50 will be required. However, if you are applying based as a Veteran, person with a disability, or a displaced former employee, you will be required to provide other supporting documents as applicable. See the Required Documents section for more details.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- If you are serving, or have served in the last 5 years (from 03/16/2018) as an Executive Branch political, Schedule C, or Non-career SES appointee, HHS/FDA may be required to obtain approval by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) prior to beginning employment. You can find out if you have held one of these appointment types by looking at your Standard Form 50s in your Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF), in Section 5 where the legal authorities are listed. If you have served or are currently serving, you must provide a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, documenting this appointment. In addition, you will be required to respond to the question in the assessment and certify your responses to the questionnaire. Political Appointees FAQ - OPM
- Veteran's Preference: If you plan to apply for any kind of Veteran Preference, please pay careful attention to the "Required Documents" section for more information about what to provide in your application. USAJOBS Veterans Site.
- Selective Service Registration: Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. You can learn more by visiting the Selective Service Registration site.
- Schedule A: If you plan to apply under Schedule A based on a disability, please pay careful attention to the "Required Documents" section for more information about what to provide in your application. Disability Employment
- Inter-agency and Career Transition Assistance Programs: If you are a displaced Federal employee and plan to apply under CTAP or ICTAP, please pay careful attention to the "Required Documents" section for more information about what to provide in your application. Workforce Restructuring
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the job opportunity announcement closes (at 11:59 pm ET on 03/16/2018), a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be conducted, the information will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your eligibility for Federal employment, and then whether or not you are qualified for this particular position.
If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, you may be deemed ineligible or your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Basis of Rating: Merit Promotion Procedures for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of two categories: Best Qualified or Qualified.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately, but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the Competencies/KSAs.
1. Knowledge of Federal Budgeting Process
2. Data Analysis
3. Written Communication
4. Financial Impact Analysis
To review the application questionnaire, click the link below.