Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Have a degree in professional engineering from a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum.
Have a degree in professional engineering that includes differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced that first-year physics and chemistry) in 5 of the following 7 areas of engineering science or physics: (1) statics, dynamics; (2) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (3) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (4) thermodynamics; (5) electrical fields and circuits; (6)nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (7) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
Be registered as a professional engineer by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico.
Have successfully passed the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) examination or the written test required for professional registration, which is administered by the Boards of Engineering Examiners in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico and have completed all the requirements for a bachelor's degree in engineering technology from an accredited college/university that included at least 60 semester hours/90 quarter hours in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences.
Have successfully passed the EIT examination and have completed all the requirements for a bachelor's degree in engineering technology (BET) from a program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
Have successfully completed at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and in engineering that included the courses specified in the basic requirements. The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of a professional engineering curriculum as described above.
Have successfully completed a curriculum that led to a bachelor's degree in engineering technology OR in an appropriate professional field, e.g., physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology AND I have at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance.
In addition, you qualify at the GS-11 level, if you meet one of the following qualification requirements:
Possess 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree, OR have completed the requirements for such a degree in an appropriate field of engineering.
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the Federal service that demonstrates your ability to perform professional engineering and scientific work exploring and using biotechnology; formulate plans and specifications for the development of instrumentation systems and devices for research and clinical use in the laboratories; assist in the design or utilize precedents to develop new systems; participate in the design, test, analysis, collection, interpretation and evaluation of various systems and programs.
A combination of post graduate education and specialized experience that meets the qualification requirements for this position.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10148031 (link to questionnaire)
This position has an education requirement. You are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades). Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education.
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps should also apply online to this announcement in order to receive consideration.
- This position is designated as an "emergency essential" position and the selected candidate will be considered an "emergency essential" employee and will be required to be available, ready, willing, and able to report for duty under all circumstances (e.g., inclement weather, government closings and holidays, lapses in appropriations, non-emergency and emergency situations) for operation 24 hours a day and 365 days per year coverage.
- If selected, you must pass a pre-employment medical examination.
- Additional selections may be made through this vacancy announcement.
- The National Institutes of Health participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
- The NIH maintains a tobacco free work environment and campus.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
If you meet the minimum qualifications for this position, your application and responses to the online questionnaire will be evaluated under Category Rating and Selection procedures for placement in one of the following categories:
- Best Qualified - for those who are superior in the evaluation criteria
- Well Qualified - for those who excel in the evaluation criteria
- Qualified - for those who only meet the minimum qualification requirements
To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must substantively exceed the basic qualifications by scoring at least an 85 on the assessment and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and any other requirements. Read more Security clearance Other