Manager, Gender and Social Equity
MANAGER, GENDER AND SOCIAL EQUITY
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
The Manager for Gender and Social Equity will lead the gender program in collaboration with the Senior Gender Advisor. The position sits within the Policy Center for Environment and Peace and supports institutional needs related to gender and stakeholder engagement across the Policy Center, including providing technical assistance to staff and partners. The Gender manager will support the development and integration of the Rights-based Approach and social safeguards efforts to ensure conservation protects human rights in all aspects of our work. The RBA and CI Safeguard Environment and Social Management Framework (ESMF) and policies address human rights through the social components of conservation, giving special attention to gender, as well as its links to other social issues - stakeholder engagement, participatory decision-making, indigenous peoples, protection of vulnerable populations, governance, research ethics, and RBA accountability mechanisms, among others. Under the RBA and safeguard (ESMF), the gender policy focuses attention on ensuring gender equity principles and practices are integrated into our conservation approach so that men and women are able to equitably participate in, and benefit from, our conservation initiatives. The position reports to the Senior Gender and Conservation Advisor.
Primary duties include:
- Support the development and implementation of RBA 3.0 and the Safeguard ESMF, through project and program related technical assistance and capacity building on issues around social and gender equity, stakeholder engagement, rights-based approach, etc. to respond to social and environmental safeguards.
- Advising the CI-GEF and GCF Project Implementation Agency, and other programs as needed, on gender integration.
- Management of gender focal points or field office grants, as needed.
- Research and identification of best practices and literature that supports the case for, and practice of, gender equity and effective stakeholder engagement in contributing to conservation outcomes. Knowledge sharing in relevant networks (Gender and Environment Working Group, etc) Development of the gender program.
Rights-Based Approach and Safeguard Capacity:
- Provide technical assistance (including proposal/project review, tools, guidance and training) on gender and stakeholder engagement to CI projects and programs, in response to growing social and environmental safeguards requirements.
- Contribute to the development and management of the full RBA 3.0 and Safeguard ESMF and develop a suite of tools related to gender and stakeholder engagement.
- Advise the CI-GEF Project Implementing Agency and CI-GCF Agency on gender (in support of Gender Advisor).
- Serve as CI’s focal point on the GEF Global Gender Partnership.
CI Gender advisor:
- Lead functions of CI’s gender + conservation portfolio (as funding allows):Gender Summit
- Gender Focal Points
- Small grants to field programs
- CI’s Gender Community of Practice o Knowledge sharing/communications (e.g. through brownbags, blogs, etc.).
- Advance gender-integrated global policy, practice and finance through collaboration with internal and external partners.
- Provide advice/guidance to other CI projects and programs on gender-related issues as requested.
- Represent CI to internal and external audiences interested in RBA, including conservation organizations, development organizations, academic institutions, international donors, development NGOs and partners at national and local scales.
- Perform research, editing, and writing, synthesizing complex data received from multiple internal and external sources to develop reports, briefs and communications materials.
- Develop and maintain a database of peer-reviewed and gray literature, case studies, and tools relating to stakeholder engagement and gender as directed support programming related to broader stakeholder engagement.
- Fundraise for Gender program.
- Provide technical assistance on gender and RBA to institution-wide funding proposals (e.g. USAID, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Typical office environment.
- Possible International travel.
- Master’s degree in Conservation, Anthropology, International Development or relevant field Five+ years work experience in social science, gender, sustainable development or a relevant field, or master’s degree and commensurate experience.
- Practical experience and working knowledge of best practices in the field of gender, stakeholder engagement, social equity.
- Proven ability to conduct rigorous academic research.
- Experience working in an international environment, preferably at the community/local level Knowledge of community-based conservation principles and practices.
- Experience and comfortability in facilitating group workshops.
- Attention to detail and the ability to operate independently to effectively establish priorities and work accurately under time constraints.
- Good judgment, the willingness to take initiative and the ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Ability to effectively track and coordinate multiple projects.
- Solid computer skills including Microsoft office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese or French.
- Knowledge of Adobe In Design and SharePoint.
- Fundraising experience
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter.
Conservation International is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer of minorities, females, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of CI to afford equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. CI offers reasonable accommodation in the employment process for individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. If you require an application accommodation due to a disability, please e-mail your request to email@example.com and include "accommodation" in the subject line.