Geography Full-time Faculty
Montgomery College is Maryland's premier community college, serving more than 60,000 students each year through credit and noncredit programs. We are dedicated to providing an exceptional education for all of our students, and we recognize that our faculty and staff are integral to our continued success. We give employees the environment, tools, and opportunities they need to make a difference.
Job TitleGeography Full-time Faculty
Job Description SummaryMontgomery College - Rockville Campus, is seeking a full-time faculty member in Applied Geography, Cartography, Geographic Information Systems (G.I.S.), and Geographic Education. This position will begin in August 2018 for the fall semester. We are seeking an individual who is enthusiastic, dedicated, self-motivated, and exhibits a high degree of professionalism with a strong commitment to the success of our students. The successful candidate must exhibit the ability to educate in an engaging manner. The candidate will be committed to teaching in a multi-cultural, two-year environment (i.e., a career program offering an A.A.S. in Applied Geography as well as certificates in Cartography/G.I.S. and Geographic Education) with students of all ages, varying levels of education, and diverse learning abilities. Montgomery College provides an excellent opportunity to teach in a large, urban community college setting with three campuses.
Montgomery College is a public, fully accredited, open admission institution. Led by President DeRionne P. Pollard, Ph.D., Montgomery College is dedicated to student success and widely recognized for the quality and scope of its academic programs. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? The faculty and staff of MC are integral to our continued excellence. We are looking for dedicated professionals for opportunities throughout the College.Job Description
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Teach an array of geography and cartography courses in the Department of Applied Technology.
- Teach a minimum of 30 semester hours per academic year of courses related to Geography and Cartography.
- Teach a diverse schedule of courses that may include day, night, early morning, weekend, accelerated sections, online, and summer courses.
- Engage students in their learning through active collaborative and innovative methods.
- Maintain office hours and meet with students outside of class to assist them as necessary.
- Mentor students so that they become successful academically and professionally.
- Apply culturally relevant pedagogies to the teaching and learning process.
- Incorporate the use of educational enterprise platform such as Blackboard and other relevant technology into instruction, including inexpensive or no-cost resources in the development and delivery of instruction.
- Advise students about program curriculum, transfer issues and careers in Applied Geography, Cartography, & GIS.
- Serve on, or lead, department, discipline, campus and college committees.
- Actively participate in Gamma Theta Upsilon, the geography honor society that may include evenings, weekends, and long-distance trips.
- Maintain an active program of professional development and participate in professional organizations and activities.
- Teach on all three campuses as needed when necessary as well as off-campus courses, e.g. high-schools and correctional center.
- Ability to work with Work Force Development and Continuing Education (WDCE) with appropriate courses.
- Ability to integrate technology into course delivery
- Participation and leadership in Advisory Committee meetings.
- Ability to seek partnerships with private and government industry that includes internships, scholarships, and full-time employment.
- Ability to seek out and apply for grant funding.
- Bachelor's degree
- Professional and academic training in geography and/or cartography.
- Ability to integrate technology and classroom-related computer software into course delivery.
- Candidates must demonstrate currency in G.I.S., Cartography, Remote Sensing, and at least three social science courses, e.g. Economic, Political, Global, Intro, Cultural, U.S. and Canada, Conservation, and Geographic Education.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- All candidates will be asked to give a brief oral presentation to the Interview Committee describing their geographic specialty, interest, and previous research.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Master's degree
- Evidence of teaching or work experience in the field.
- Experience supporting students with varying levels of preparedness for college-level work.
- Demonstration of student engagement strategies that help students succeed in the course.
- Evidence of ongoing professional development and leadership roles.
- Experience leading academic initiatives.
- Member of and participation in Gamma Theta Upsilon.
This position is part of a collective bargaining unit and requires payment of dues or a service fee.
- Apply online at http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment
- Online applications must be received by April 7, 2018.
- For consideration, you must:
Include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
Submit a cover letter along with an un-official copy of your transcripts from your highest degree earned.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Participation in a retirement plan.
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.Closing DateSaturday, April 7, 2018
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace
For disability-related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353
or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.