Public Health Advisor (Community-Based Serious Mental Illness Programs)
25% or less - Domestic travel up to 25% of the time may be required
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Basic Requirements for all Public Health Program Specialist Series, 0685 positions require that you demonstrate specialized experience in each of the following five competencies:
1. Knowledge of organizational, operational, and programmatic concepts and practices applied by public, private, or nonprofit agencies and organizations engaged in public health or other health-related activities.
2. Knowledge of the methods, processes, and techniques used to develop and deliver public health or health-related programs in State and local settings.
3. Knowledge of a specialized public health program.
4. Knowledge of, and skill in, the application of administrative or analytical methods and techniques necessary for working within the framework of a public health or related organization and carrying out specific program functions;
5. Skill in oral and written communications, gathering and conveying information, making oral presentations, and preparing reports, correspondence, and other written materials.
In order to qualify for this GS-14 Public Health Advisor position, your resume/CV must demonstrate that you have one full year of specialized experience comparable in difficulty and responsibility to at least the GS-13 level in the Federal service. Examples of qualifying experience include the following types of tasks performed on a regular and recurring basis:
- Leading and promoting community-based treatment and recovery initiatives and programs (e.g., jail diversion, integrated primary and behavioral health care, supported employment, etc.) for adults with serious mental illness;
- Serving as a Contracting Officer Representative (COR) for large contracts and special purpose procurements;
- Providing guidance, consultation, and direction in the execution of community-based programs for people with serious mental illness; and
- Initiating and maintaining relationships with a wide range of federal partners and stakeholders to promote improved community-based care for people with serious mental illness.
Current status candidates must meet Time-in-Grade (TIG) by the closing date of this announcement. To allow us to verify that you meet TIG requirements, provide any of the following SF-50s:
- Competitive or Career-ladder promotion to your highest grade (this does not include 120 day temporary promotions)
- With-In-Grade (WGI) increase at your highest grade (this does not include quality step increases (QSIs)
- Competitive career/career-conditional appointment to your highest grade.
- SF-50 at your highest grade held, that is at least one year older than the announcement closing date of 03/22/2018.
Go here to watch the video on the SF50s to submit in your application package.
This position does not have an education requirement. Please do not send transcripts.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
HHS is an equal opportunity employer. Selection for this position will be based solely on merit without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status or other differences.
Click here for information on "Federal hiring for individuals with disabilities".
- Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: SAMHSA participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their social security numbers.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Creditable Service: A newly appointed or reappointed employee may receive service credit for annual leave for prior work experience directly related to the duties of the position being filled. The use of this service credit is at the discretion of the selecting official and must be finalized prior to selectee's entrance on duty. For more information, please click here.
- Financial Disclosure: This position requires you to file a public or confidential financial disclosure report prior to receiving a final offer letter as well as within 30 days of your appointment. This will require you to report information such as recent sources of income, financial interests you hold, and outside activities you participate in, as well as similar information from a spouse or any dependent children. If you have questions, please contact your HRSA Ethics Advisor at AskHR@hrsa.gov.
Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): Click here
SAMHSA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. Telework eligibility may be discussed during the interview process.
**Applicants please note: Additional selections may be made across the Department of Health and Human Services through this vacancy announcement.** Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- COLLABORATION - Works cooperatively with others, inside and outside the organization, to accomplish objectives to build and maintain mutually beneficial partnerships, leverage information, and achieve results.
- CONTRACT MANAGEMENT - Knowledge of various types of contracts, techniques, or requirements (for example, Federal Acquisitions Regulations) for contracting or procurement, and contract negotiation and administration.
- GRANTS MANAGEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION - Acquires and applies critical financial concepts and practices, based upon a thorough understanding of the Federal Government, to administer grants and cooperative agreements in accordance with organizational needs and deadlines.
- PUBLIC HEALTH PROGRAM MANAGEMENT - Plans, develops, coordinates and manages the structure and administration of public health organizations and the policies that impact health programs and reimbursement of health services.
To preview the occupational assessment questionnaire, please click on the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10152336 Read more Security clearance Q - Nonsensitive