Student Trainee (Program Specialist)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- Student Status: Definition of a student - applicant must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an accredited high school, technical or vocational school, two-year or four-year college or university, graduate/professional school, or certificate program equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study (go to http://www.ed.gov/accreditation to verify accreditation status) pursuant to 5 CFR 362. You must be considered in good academic standings by the school. Individuals must be taking at least a half-time academic, vocational, or technical course load leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate. "Half-time" is defined by the school in which the student is enrolled.
- Grade Point Average: You must have at least a 2.0 GPA.
- Citizenship: Student Interns must be United States citizens or owe permanent allegiance to the United States. (Currently, natives of American Samoa, Swains Island and certain inhabitants of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands are the only groups that owe permanent allegiance to the United States.)Background Investigation: You must successfully complete a background investigation to determine your suitability for Federal employment.
- Pathways Participant Agreement: All interns are required to sign the Participant Agreement.
- Qualification requirements as outlined below.
- One full year of graduate level education at an accredited or pre-accredited college or university; OR
- A bachelor's degree with superior academic achievement, which is based on (1) class standing, (2) grade-point average, or (3) honor society membership:(1) Class standing - Applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses. (2) Grade-point average (GPA.) - Applicants must have a grade-point average of: 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum. (3) Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society -- Applicants can be considered eligible based on membership in one of the national scholastic honor societies listed by the Association of College Honor Societies (external link). Membership in a freshman honor society cannot be used to meet the requirements of this provision.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications; applicant's resumes and supporting documentation should only reflect education received from schools accredited by such institutions. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following Website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html .
If qualifying based on your education, you must submit a copy of your college transcript. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted. Official transcripts will be required if you are selected for the position. Proof of enrollment and student's grade will be requested each semester, if selected.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements. You must show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Please visit OPM's web site at https://www.opm.gov/qualifications/SEC-II/s2-e4.htm#e4a for additional information on this topic.
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to the DHS Careers website and select "Employee Benefits." Disabled veteran leave will be available to any Federal employee hired on or after November 5, 2016, who is a veteran with a service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more. (https://www.opm.gov/news/releases/2016/08/newly-established-leave-policy-gives-disabled-veterans-more-time-to-address-medical-issues-1/)
This position is being filled at the full performance level.
Selectee is required to serve a trial period
Permanent Change of Duty Station (PCS) Expenses will not be paid.
If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
Multiple selections may be made from this announcement.
DHS uses e-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
How You Will Be Evaluated Language: Unranked Order
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, we will refer your application in the following order: [Select "Preference Status" or "Reemployment/Regular List Status"]
Preference Status (NOTE: within each category, applicants from the reemployment list will be placed ahead of applicants from the regular employment list)
- Veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 10 percent or more
- Other 10-point preference eligibles
- 5-point preference eligibles
- Non-preference eligibles