Human Resources (HR) Benefits Assistant
6 days left
- Full Time
The Embassy of Canada in Washington D.C. is hiring a Human Resources Benefits Assistant to provide HR program support to Locally-Engaged Staff, including those at the Embassy and those working at missions throughout the United States.
Position title: Human Resources (HR) Benefits Assistant
Section: Locally-Engaged Staff (LES) Portal
Location: Embassy of Canada, Washington, D.C.
Position no: EXT-310945
Starting salary: $50, 178 USD, plus benefits
Competition no: 2200/17
Date posted: February 15th, 2018
Closing date: March 1, 2018
Employment Tenure: Indeterminate
This staffing process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and similar positions with various tenures, including indeterminate, term, assignment/ transfer, and acting opportunities at the Embassy.
All applications must be submitted online at:
- Persons living in the Washington Metropolitan area.
- Employees of the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C.
- Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States. Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance.
- Spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff at the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C.
All applicants must:
- Meet all of the Essential Requirements stated below.
- Be resident in the United States.
- Have independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions.
- Submit resumes and cover letters by the closing date. The covering letter must:
- Demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements under language, education and experience;
- Confirm residency in the United States;
- Confirm independent work authorization in the United States.
Note: Failure to provide any of the information required above will result in your application being rejected. All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
Summary of duties: Under the general supervision of the HR Officer, the HR Benefits Assistant supports the Locally-Engaged Staff HR Portal by providing day-to-day administrative support for benefit plan services, including but not limited to, Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Accidental Death and Dismemberment, Long Term Disability, and Pension. Support will also be provided to account/ billing reconciliations. The incumbent researches and prepares responses to provide routine information and/or documentation to internal and external clients. The incumbent is also responsible for maintaining HR files and benefits documentation and reports. It is critical that the incumbent is highly skilled in Excel. Language requirement:
English (The ability to work in French would be an asset.)
Condition of employment (must be met):
- Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check; and
- Independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for foreign missions.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Education and Experience requirements listed below:
A degree from an accredited college or university in business, HR, or a related field OR an acceptable combination of relevant experience, education, and training related to the duties and specific areas of competence required by the position, e.g., PHR certification.
- Experience working in Human Resources, including Benefits
- Experience in front-line client service; and
- Extensive experience using Excel.
Candidates who meet the Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. The assessment may be a written test, an interview, an in-basket exercise, a skills test, or any combination of these methods.
Knowledge: ·Knowledge of general administrative principles, including but not limited to filing, organizational procedures, generally accepted meeting, email and telephone etiquette, etc.; ·Knowledge of and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite; and ·Knowledge of general HR principles and practices, including but not limited to, benefit plans, staffing, employee intake processes, payroll, US laws relating to HR. Abilities:
- Communicate verbally basic HR information to internal and external clients in a professional manner;
- Write and prepare basic office communications with consistency;
- Prepare daily and monthly reports, both in spreadsheet and document formats, for the benefits process, tracking against service standards;
- Plan daily activities and set priorities, working with a sense of flexibility;
- Identify small obstacles early on and deal with them before they become larger issues; and
- Demonstrate basic mathematical skills commensurate with the ability to create and maintain complex spreadsheets, as well as to successfully manage HRIS, vendor data audits, and billing reconciliations.
- Effective interpersonal skills;
- Sound judgement;
- Highly collaborative working style;
- Client-service orientation; and
- Confidentiality (ability to keep sensitive information on a need-to-know basis).
- The ability to work in French would be an asset.
- PHR or CEBS certification would be an asset.
- Experience in accounting or payroll would be an asset.
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the Essential Requirements. Please note that failure to meet any of the Essential Requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by the Human Resources Section for an interview or other form of assessment of the Rated Requirements.
The assessment may include an interview, a written test and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant's knowledge, abilities and personal suitability for the position.
The Embassy offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package to include medical, dental, long term and short term disability, and a retirement savings plan to name a few.
The Embassy is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
Method of application: All applications must be submitted online at: www.wfca-tpce.com/vacancyView.php?requirementId=2200&source=PO
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Employment for Locally Engaged Staff (LES) in the United States of 37.5 hours per week. The incumbent will be required to work overtime on an as-needed basis.