Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Eligible Externs may be able to receive travel reimbursements for one round trip to site.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 02/26/2018
- GS-3: one (1) year of education above high school level (30 semester hours/45 quarter hours).
- GS-4: completed 60 semester hours/90 quarter hours.
- GS-5: completed bachelor's degree (120 semester hours/180 quarter hours).
- GS-7: completed first year of graduate school (18 semester hours of graduate education, 27 quarter hours of graduate selection) OR a Bachelor's Degree and meet the superior academic achievement qualifications due to meeting one of the following: (1) A standing in the upper third of your college class or major subdivision (e.g. school of engineering); (2) A grade point average 3.0 on a 4.0 scale as recorded on your official transcript; (3) A grade point average of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale based on required courses completed in a qualifying major field of study; (4) Membership in a national honorary scholastic society that meets the requirements of the Association of College Honor Society.
- GS-9: completed Master's or equivalent graduate degree; or two (2) full years of progressively higher graduate education leading to such a degree; or LL.B. or J.D. if related to a health or allied health profession program.
NOTE: Those who have or will graduate from their program of study before or during the externship period are not eligible for the Extern Program.
You may be asked to provide an updated transcript history if it becomes apparent that you have completed additional coursework after submitting your application.
Transcripts are a required document for this position. Applications without transcripts will not be considered. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted, if selected, official transcripts are be required.
You will be rated based on the number of credit hours completed to determine the grade level you are qualified for. Adjustments may be made at time of appointment.
Externship locations will be based on availability and/or the selectee's preference.
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
Relocation Authorized Description: Eligible Externs may be able to receive travel reimbursements for one round trip to site. Reimbursement of movement of family members, pets, or household goods are NOT authorized.
Students may or may not be able to accrue leave depending on length of appointment. Life, and Retirement benefits are not available in the extern program.
Health benefits are available for full-time Externs with not-to-exceed dates of 90 days or more.
For questions regarding the IHS Extern Program contact:
- Great Plains Area locations: Mathew Martin, (605) 226-7502
- Alaska Area location: Laura Hudson, (907) 729-4592
- Albuquerque Area: Jeanette Garcia, (505) 248-4418
- Bemidji Area locations: Tony Buckanaga, (218) 444-0486
- Billings Area locations: Delon Rock Above, (406) 247-7215
- California Area locations: Sergio Islas, (916) 420-0030
- Nashville Area locations: Nicholas Mayo, (615) 467-1711
- Navajo Area locations: Aletha John, (928) 871-1360
- Oklahoma Area locations: Keith Bohanan, (405) 951-3789
- Phoenix Area locations: Rowena Valadez, (928) 364-5224
- Portland Area Locations: (503) 414-7745
- Tucson Area locations: Rowena Valadez, (928) 364-5224
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must be enrolled in an academic health, allied health professional program OR career track listed in the IHS Scholarship Program Comparison chart.
- Must be in good academic standing with a 2.0 GPA or above.
- U.S Citizenship.
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- This position is covered by Public Law 101-630, the Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Protection Act (25 United States Code Chapter 34) requiring contact or control over Indian children. Due to this law, the agency must ensure that persons hired for these positions have not been found guilty of or pleaded nolo contendere or guilty to certain crimes.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required and on the extent to which your application shows that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with this position. To determine if you are qualified for this position, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against the qualifications as defined in the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement and your responses to the assessment questions.
The following links below provide information on how you may be eligible for various hiring authorities. If you are a Veteran, qualified CTAP and ICTAP eligible, or an individual with a disability, please refer to the following links below for additional guidance:
- Veterans , i.e. (VEOA, VRA, and 30% or more disabled) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide/
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) - https://www.ihs.gov/jobs/supporting-documents/permanentDocs/ctap.doc
- Interagency Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/
- Schedule A Appointments for the Disabled - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/hiring/
Click here to view vacancy questions:https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10138044 . All documents above MUST be received by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date of 02/26/2018, to be considered. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation