Supervisory Interdisciplinary Scientist (Deputy Associate Director)
Occasional travel - Up to 10% travel may be required
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Conditions of Employment:
- U.S. Citizenship is required for Federal employment.
- Time-in-Grade must be met by announcement close to be considered eligible.
- Only experience gained by closing date of announcement will be considered
- 1 year supervisory probationary period may be required
- Security and Background Requirements: Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. If hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Pre-employment physical required: No
- Drug testing required: No
- License required: No
- Mobility agreement required: No
- Bargaining Unit Position:No
Please be advised that this position will be subject to FDA's prohibited financial interest regulation and may require the incumbent of this position to divest of certain financial interests. Applicants are advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the hiring official before accepting this position.
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement, 02/21/2018. In order to qualify for Supervisory Interdisciplinary Scientist (Deputy Associate Director), 0401/0403/1320, at GS - 15, you must meet requirements by 02/21/2018.
TIME-IN-GRADE REQUIREMENT: GS-15: Applicants must have 52 weeks at the GS-14 level or higher or equivalent.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at least equivalent to the GS-14 level.
Experience directly related to the position to be filled which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. Specialized experience includes directing laboratory operations; developing, implementing, and providing guidance on laboratory operational science policies and procedures; coordinating and monitoring a science laboratory workload and product relative to a broad/complex science and consumer protection mission.
SUPERVISORY QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT: The candidate chosen for this position must serve a one year
supervisory probationary period, unless already completed Federal service.
In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the percentage of times the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: Applicants must have successfully completed one of the following:
For GS-0401, Biologist:
A. Degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management,chemistry, or related disciplines
appropriate to the position; -OR
B. Combination of education and experience - courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus
appropriate experience or additional education.
For GS-0403, Microbiologist:
A. Degree in microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent;
B. Combination of education and experience - courses equivalent to a major in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or medical science that included courses as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
For GS-1320, Chemist:
A. Degree in physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry,
supplemented by course work in mathematics through differentials and integral calculus, and at least 6
semester hours in physics; -OR
B. Combination of education and experience - course work equivalent to a major as shown in A above,
including at least 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by mathematics through differential and
integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
- If you are serving, or have served in the last 5 years (from 02/21/2018) as an Executive Branch political, Schedule C, or Non-career SES appointee, HHS/FDA may be required to obtain approval by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) prior to beginning employment. You can find out if you have held one of these appointment types by looking at your Standard Form 50s in your Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF), in Section 5 where the legal authorities are listed. If you have served or are currently serving, you must provide a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, documenting this appointment. In addition, you will be required to respond to the question in the assessment and certify your responses to the questionnaire. Political Appointees FAQ - OPM
- Selective Service Registration: Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. You can learn more by visiting the Selective Service Registration site.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the job opportunity announcement closes (at 11:59 pm ET on 02/21/2018), a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be conducted, the information will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your eligibility for Federal employment, and then whether or not you are qualified for this particular position.
If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, you may be deemed ineligible or your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Basis of Rating: Merit Promotion Procedures for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of two categories: Best Qualified or Qualified.
Your qualification will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSA's separately, but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the Competencies/KSA's.
- Technical Competence
- Oral Communication
https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10123051 Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation