Behavioral Scientist 11/12/13
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position 5% domestic.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
U.S. Citizenship is required.
Background Investigation required.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. One-year probationary period may be required.
6. Travel, transportation, and moving expenses will be paid: No
7. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
8. Drug Screening Required: No
9. Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: No
10. Annual Leave for non-federal service authorized: No
11. Promotion potential: Yes: This position has promotion potential to 13. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your meeting qualifications and time-in-grade requirements, demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and administrative approval. Promotion to the next grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
12. Supervisory position: No
Degree: Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in behavioral or social science; or related disciplines appropriate to the position;
Combination of education and experience that provided the applicant with knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field;
Four years of appropriate experience that demonstrated that the applicant has acquired knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
In addition to meeting the Basic Qualifications, applicants must meet the specialized experience as stated below:
GS-11: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at the GS-09 grade level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include designing and conducting significant portions of research projects dealing with the behavioral, social, cognitive and/or statistical dimensions of survey responses in order to identify commonalities.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR EXPERIENCE FOR GS-11: Requirements at the GS-11 level may be met by completed 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to Ph.D. or having a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree that is directly related to the position.
Have a combination of specialized experience and graduate education that together meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
GS-12: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at the GS-11 grade level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include performs and may lead professional work designing and conducting significant portions of research projects dealing with the behavioral, social, cognitive and/or statistical dimensions of survey responses in order to identify commonalities and identify causal relationships and to provide advice and guidance on survey design and conduct.
GS-13: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at the GS-12 grade level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include performs and leads professional work involved the design and conduct of research projects that require the use of many different and unrelated methods to perform in-depth analysis of the behavioral, social, cognitive and/or statistical dimensions of survey responses.
Foreign Education: Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the education requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: https://www.cdc.gov/jobs/future-applicant-information.html.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
For more information on veterans' preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov). For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
To view the questionnaire, click on the following link:
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document(s), view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
Who May Apply: Open to US citizens and applicants eligible under Schedule A authority.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates.
The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified. The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher).
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics).
- Behavioral & Social Science Knowledge
- Data Analysis and Interpretation
- Research Dissemination and Translation
- Synthesis of Data