Senior Delinquency Control Counselor
PenFed is hiring a Senior Delinquency Control Counselor in our Alexandria Service Center in Alexandria, VA. The primary purpose of this job is to perform the duties of an experienced collector, to include contacting and counseling members about the most complex delinquent accounts, maintaining related written records and providing guidance, on the job training, and mentoring for less experienced collectors.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Initiate appropriate follow-up activity on delinquent accounts and maintain accurate on-line chronological records of all facts, information developed and actions taken.
- Determine reason for delinquency and establish an equitable payment arrangement enlisting the cooperation of the member, tracking member’s compliance to revised payment schedule.
- Counsel and assist members in the reduction and elimination of delinquent loan accounts.
- Recommend accounts for charge off to the DCC Unit Supervisor by providing reason for delinquency as well as ability and willingness to pay.
- Provide in depth productive and remedial financial counseling for members as needed.
- Analyze information in the member's record, decides what action will be taken and selects a method for effecting that action.
- Perform skip tracing activities by contacting third parties such as relatives of the delinquent member, employers, personnel officers, creditors, or credit bureaus for the purpose of determining location and/or contact information of the member. Perform collection follow-up and due diligence on more complex and/or advanced cases, including, but not limited to deceased member accounts, accounts assigned out for repossession, liquidation of repossessed collateral, privately insured loans, negative share accounts, inbound calls from members with real estate loans, and ARK loans as assigned.
- Prepare extension agreements, loan applications, obtains support documentation, and perform discretionary income calculations for recommending refinancing or consolidating delinquent loans.
- Provide assistance and guidance to less experienced counselors, to include review of work, guidance of collection techniques and advice on options to pursue collection. Serve as a mentor to less experienced staff.
- Assist in analyzing work productivity of subordinates.
- Assist supervisor with completing DCC branch closing duties.
- Maintain records of all daily activities and reports to the Unit Supervisor.
- Adhere to the PenFed Compliance Program and comply with all related regulations, policies and procedures.
Education and Experience
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Highschool degree required however Associates degree is preferred. This position will consider a combination of education and experience that provides the necessary skills and knowledge to satisfactorily perform the essential job functions.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ of experience as a collector is required.
- In depth knowledge of preventative, productive and remedial financial counseling is required.
This position will mentor employees however there are no supervisory responsibilities for this role.
Licenses and Certifications
There are no additional certifications required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
Limited travel to various worksites is required.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 1.6 million members and over $23 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico, Okinawa, and Portugal. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
Our mission isn’t simply to help our members get by. We exist to help them realize every ounce of their potential. We exist to educate, and to encourage. We exist to usher their dreams into the land of reality.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 703-838-1568.