Job Opportunity & Dev Spec
Montgomery College is Maryland's premier community college, serving more than 60,000 students each year through credit and noncredit programs. We are dedicated to providing an exceptional education for all of our students, and we recognize that our faculty and staff are integral to our continued success. We give employees the environment, tools, and opportunities they need to make a difference.
Job TitleJob Opportunity & Dev Spec
Job Description SummaryLocation:\t\t\tCafritz Foundation Arts Center
\t\t\t\t 930 King Street
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Bargaining Status:\tNon- Bargaining
Montgomery College, Workforce Development and Continuing Education (WDCE), located in Silver Spring, MD, has need for a full-time Job Developer (Job Opportunity & Development Specialist), position #S00165. The normal work schedule is Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm. This grant-funded position will require some local travel. This is a grant funded position. The grant funding shall expire on June 30, 2018. Employment continuation beyond the contract period is contingent upon need and funding.
Montgomery College is a public, fully accredited, open admission institution. Led by President DeRionne P. Pollard, Ph.D., MC is dedicated to student success and widely recognized for the quality and scope of its academic programs. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? The faculty and staff of MC are integral to our continued excellence. We are looking for dedicated professionals for opportunities throughout the College.
Job Summary: The person in this position will oversee business engagement by working with business representatives and job placement agencies to promote programs which lead to developing job opportunities for students. Additionally, they will support students by maintaining ongoing relationships with program participants and develop student supports that lead to employment as Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs), and Certified Apartment Maintenance Technicians (CAMTs) as well as to employment in other fields. This position will also be responsible for maintaining detailed records regarding job placement data.Job Description
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Interface with businesses to identify new career pathways.
- Make cold calls to potential employers; explain the benefits and employment support services provided by program to employers.
- Work with new and established business partners to expand on and develop internship and other relevant opportunities for participants, such as group interviews, site visits, and mentor programs.
- Research Internet, newspapers, agencies, and other resources for job leads; locates jobs for participants who have successfully completed training programs.
- Collect data from employers related to job requirements; matches job skills with applicant qualifications; refer qualified applicants to employers and conduct necessary follow-up when applicants are placed in positions.
- Participate in outreach and recruitment activities by coordinating and attending job fairs.
- Collaborate with career coach to develop internships and other work and learn experiences for learners.
- Collaborate with career coach in order to track program graduates and assist learners in their transition to the workforce and to future educational opportunities
- Assist participants in preparing job search portfolio.
- Assist career coaches with job readiness training.
- Monitor participant performance on the job and counsel participants when job performance is not satisfactory
- Work with employed participants to improve job performance and gain skill upgrades in order to advance on career pathway
- Conduct job application workshops.
- Provide job retention and upgrade supports including assisting participants in communicating with supervisors, identifying additional training options.
- Bachelor's degree in counseling, career development, business administration, education, or a related field providing an understanding of the field.
- Three years of progressively responsible experience (including speaking in public, making presentations and conducting workshops) in the placement of diverse populations with little or no employment experience into appropriate jobs, in working with students, faculty, employers and community organizations, in identifying available job opportunities, and/or in facilitating workshops on all aspects of the job search process.
- Working knowledge of career development practices and the technology used to develop job opportunities; of job search strategies, processes and effective methodologies; of résumé writing and interviewing techniques.
- Some knowledge of the labor market and career trends in the greater Washington Metropolitan area; of marketing techniques; of the systems used to track information on placing college students into cooperative education and internships within their respective majors.
- Skill in verbal and written communications, interpersonal relationships, making public presentations, conducting workshops and interviewing.
- Skill in using the internet and computer software such as MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to advise and instruct on a variety of career management topics; to design and develop workshops; to work independently to accomplish program objectives; to establish and maintain affirmative professional working relationships with a culturally diverse student and employer population.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Master's degree in counseling, career development, business administration, education, or a related field providing an understanding of the field.
Apply online at http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check
- Participation in a retirement plan
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.Closing DateMonday, February 26, 2018
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace
For disability-related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353
or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.