Student Trainee (Information Technology)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
This position is designated as High Risk and requires a background investigation. Unless an appropriate background investigation is already on record with the Office of Personnel Management, you must undergo a background investigation.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS:
GS-04 LEVEL REQUIREMENTS: TTo qualify for a Pathways Internship at the GS-04, you must have completed two full academic years of post-high school study, or have an associate's degree. Two full academic years is the number of credit hours determined by the college, university, or school to represent two years of full-time study. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements. Your transcripts are a required part of your application.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/ and http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please include this information in your resume.
Current students in an accredited high school, college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, and trade school; advanced degree programs; or other qualifying educational institution pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate.
- The Internship Program is primarily administered by each hiring agency.
- Agencies may hire Interns on a temporary basis for up to one year for an initial period, or for an indefinite period, to complete the educational requirement.
- Interns may work either part or full-time. Will depend on school schedule.
- Each agency must sign a Participant Agreement with the Intern that sets forth the expectations for the internship.
- Intern's job will be related to the Intern's academic career goals or field of study.
Program Completion and Conversion
- Interns may be converted to a permanent position (or, in some limited circumstances, to a term position lasting 1-4 years) within 120 days of successful completion of the program.
- To be eligible for conversion, Interns must:
- Complete at least 640 hours of work experience acquired through the Internship Program
- Complete their degree or certificate requirements
- Meet the qualification standards for the position to which the Intern will be converted
- Meet agency-specific requirements as specified in the Participant's Agreement, and
- Perform their job successfully.
- Agencies may waive up to 320 of the required 640 hours of work for Interns who demonstrate high potential as evidenced by outstanding academic achievement and exceptional job performance.
- In addition, students working in agencies through third-party intern providers may count up to 320 of the hours they work toward the 640 hour requirement.
- Time spent under previous Internship Program appointments may count towards required work experience hours.
- Knowledge of the processes, methods, and procedures associated with routine aspects of IT applications work combined with basic office procedures and associated software.
- Ability to gather, compile and analyze from various sources of information/problems and present findings and recommendations.
- Ability develop a variety of analytical reports and written guidance in a variety of formats (e.g., narrative, graphs, charts, etc.) using a variety of software packages (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc).
- Ability to communicate orally sufficient to provide feedback, to obtain information and develop good working relationships.
As part of the application process, you are required to submit college transcripts or a list of courses as described in the Required Documents section of this announcement. However, if you are selected, you must provide official educational transcripts before you start work with EPA. More information on verification of education can be found here:
EPA participates in e-Verify. E-Verify is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that enables participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees. For additional information http://epa.gov/ohr/ezhire/vacancy_requirements.htm.
This information is used to determine your qualifications for employment. The use of this information is authorized under Title 5 USC, Sections 3302 and 3361.
If you have part-time work experience, read this: (http://epa.gov/ohr/ezhire/vacancy_requirements.htm)
If you are selected, travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid by EPA. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting to work in this position will be your responsibility.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume and required documents to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. Your resume must address the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed in the Qualifications Section. If you meet basic qualification requirements, your application will be further evaluated based on your answers to the on-line assessment. Your responses to the on-line assessment will be used to measure the degree to which your background matches the requirements for the position. You are being evaluated under the category rating method which means, if you are determined to be qualified, you will be placed into the Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified Category.
We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. We will evaluate your qualifications and eligibility and notify you if you meet minimum qualification requirements.
NOTE: We do not require a separate statement responding to the competencies, also referred to as Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs). However, your resume should clearly show possession of these competencies.
To preview questions please click here.