Material Management Specialist I
- Plays a critical role in ensuring efficient and effective financial accounting and procurement.
- Reviews packing slips and reconciles with purchase orders to maintain accurate inventory management for a wide variety of accounts within the county system (FOCUS).
- Maintains detailed electronic and paper files.
- Maintains inventory in warehouse setting, directs the unpacking, storing and arranging of bin and bulk storage of stock items and determines the routing and delivery of items and supplies within the agency.
- Must have good communication skills and problem-solving.
- Must have knowledge of Fairfax County policies and procedures.
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
- Monitors receiving, storage and issuance of supplies and equipment (small accounts);
- Serves as department's Property Manager for accountable equipment;
- Plans and monitors staging areas;
- Audits and analyzes inventory to ensure availability and to minimize cost;
- Performs inventory cycle count s and spots checks to ensure inventory accuracy;
- Places orders for stock/supply replenishment and sets automated controls;
- Utilizes purchasing application software, procurement cards, and vendor online catalog to generate purchase orders;
- Contacts vendors to expedite and coordinate deliveries and resolve discrepancies;
- Plans delivery schedule and routing;
- Enters invoices in Accounts Payable application software;
- Researches and/or solicits vendor prices and availability quotes;
- Monitors vendor contract performance and reports discrepancies to supervisor;
- Maintains detailed purchasing, receiving and issue records using automated procurement system;
- Trains subordinates of standard purchasing, inventory procedures and warehouse safety procedures;
- May provide limited supervision of warehouse staff;
- Coordinates maintenance and repair of vehicles, equipment and facility.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities (The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
- Knowledge of supply procedures and requirements;
- Knowledge of procurement methods and procedures;
- Knowledge of purchasing contract practices and procedures;
- Ability to develop supply requirements;
- Ability to compare and analyze costs and specifications;
- Ability to use sound judgment in making decisions;
- Ability to communicate in writing and orally;
- Ability to operate a personal computer and an automated purchasing/inventory management system;
- Ability to work with and evaluate the effectiveness of purchasing contracts;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships;
- Ability to perform all required tasks including lifting, stooping, bending and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to high school graduation or a GED issued by a state department of education; and two years of experience procuring or issuing and receiving equipment or performing accounts payable functions.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Possession of a valid motor vehicle driver's license. May be required to provide copies of driving record periodically for verification of driving status. Must be able to obtain Forklift Safety Training Certificate within six months of hire date.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Certain positions within this class may be subject to criminal background checks as a condition of hiring as determined by the department head. An applicant or employee may be required to submit a request for a criminal background check to the appropriate agency.
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Five (5) or more years of experience in warehousing or delivery service.
- Proficiency with fork lift and hand jack operation preferable.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Excel.
- Familiarity with Fairfax County's FOCUS or SAP ERP systems or other local government financial and procurement policies and practice.
Work is generally mobile. Strength and dexterity is necessary to perform most tasks including but not limited to lifting, stooping and bending. Must be able to lift large boxes in excess of 50 lbs. Must be able to use keyboard-driven equipment. Must communicate with others, verbally and in writing. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview. May include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.