Licensed Practical Nurse
- Full Time
Exciting opportunity to work with multidisciplinary team at the Fairfax Detoxification Center, in a community-based residential setting. Staff is being enhanced and expanded to provide integrated services, addressing substance use and mental health disorders as well as co-occurring primary care needs. Programming includes medical and clinically managed detoxification, acupuncture, and case management and referral services. The nursing staff is responsible for clinical, medical and primary care issues including serving as the liaison to community resource pharmacy and community medical providers. Provides clinical collaboration with physicians/medical staff and the mental health treatment team regarding medical support services to clients. Licensed Practical Nurse provides assessment, outreach, support services, crisis intervention, education, and life skills training to Fairfax county citizens who are seriously mentally ill or those actively detoxing from substances and/or with co-occurring mental health and substance abuse disorders. Conducts and gathers relevant research information on medical services and educates program staff. Provides accurate and timely written documentation on clients and the program. Visually observes physical appearance of clients and monitors their behaviors. Encourages clients/ compliance with program rules and expectation. This position is designated emergency series personnel and is expected to report for duty even in cases of inclement weather. Note: This position includes a hiring bonus for new hires of $2,000 for full time. To learn more about careers that make a difference, watch our video "We Are CSB".Illustrative Duties
- Provides nursing services to individuals and/or families in clinics, ambulatory care centers, offices, or community settings;
- Administers medications and performs treatments;
- Performs appropriate height, weight, and head circumference measurements;
- Administers immunizations under the supervision of a licensed medical practitioner or registered professional nurse;
- Solicits contraindications and medical history prior to each injection;
- Performs necessary laboratory tests and/or specimen collections per agency protocol (e.g., venipuncture; finger, foot, and heel stick; blood pressure checks; and urine testing);
- Records and reports testing and specimen collection findings;
- Prepares lab specimens collected for shipment to other labs;
- Maintains a neat clinic area, assuring supply room is properly stocked and organized and that equipment is cleaned, sterilized and maintained in good working order.
- Knowledge of practical nursing skills gained through an accredited practical nursing program;
- Skill in performing technical nursing procedures (e.g., injections, venipuncture, blood pressure screening);
- Ability to identify questionable test findings;
- Ability to perform CPR or perform emergency treatment for life-threatening conditions;
- Ability to elicit sufficient pertinent medical information from a client and record a medical history that is complete and accurate;
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with clients and staff members.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Possession of current license to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in the Commonwealth of Virginia;
- Contingent upon area of assignment, some positions may require possession of a valid motor vehicle driver's license.
Experience working in the fields of psychiatric mental health nursing, substance use disorders, intellectual disabilities, medical surgical or relevant clinical specialty.
Must be capable of providing nursing care and assistance including physically assisting large adults in hygiene. The ability to sit, walk, stand, bend and write as needed; use key board to enter data in electronic health record and review data on computer monitor; take vital signs (blood pressure, weight, abdominal girth, temperature, pulse, blood sugar finger sticks) and administer intramuscular and subcutaneous injections. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and will include medication exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.