Nurse (Sr Clinical Research Nurse)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
This announcement is open to U.S. citizens and non-citizen U.S. nationals only. A U.S. national is a non-citizen who was born in an outlying possession of the United States on or after the date of formal acquisition of such possession (including American Samoa and Swains Island, and in some instances the Northern Mariana Islands), or who is a child of U.S. nationals under certain circumstances, or who meets other requirements described in law at 8 U.S.C. § 1408. Visit the Department of State's web page for more information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Certificates-Non-Citizen-Nationality.html.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
A graduate or higher level degree, bachelor's degree, associate degree, or diploma from an accredited professional nursing educational program is required. This education must have been accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs, Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education, or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained.
Degree from Foreign Nursing School: Official certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools is required for individuals who graduated from foreign nursing schools.
For all grade levels and positions, applicants must have passed the National Council Licensure Examination. In addition, they must possess a current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a professional nurse from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition to the above requirements, applicants must meet one of the following requirements for the desired grade the applicant is applying to.
To Qualify at the GS-12 Level:
Applicant must have one year of specialized nursing experience equivalent to at least a GS-11 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: providing comprehensive care to patients in hospitals, clinics, occupational health units, homes, schools and communities; administering anesthetic agents and supportive treatments to patients undergoing surgery or other medical procedures; promoting better health practices; preparing patients for surgical and/or diagnostic procedures; teaching; performing research in one or more phases of the field of nursing; or setting up, operating, and monitoring specialized equipment such as cardiac monitors, respirators, defibrillators; and providing individual and/or family counseling.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This position has an education requirement. You are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades). Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education
If you qualify based on education in lieu of specialized experience, you are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application packages. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- The selectee must be able to bend, stoop, walk, stand, and climb, and work in cramped positions.
- This position requires irregular or extended tours of duty, weekend hours, night shifts, regular or rotational shifts, and holiday hours.
- This position has on-call requirements.
- If selected, you must pass a pre-employment medical examination.
- This position is designated as an "emergency essential" position and the selected candidate will be considered an "emergency essential" employee and will be required to be available, ready, willing, and able to report for duty under all circumstances (e.g., inclement weather, government closings and holidays, lapses in appropriations, non-emergency and emergency situations) for operation 24 hours a day and 365 days per year coverage.
- PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps should also apply online to this announcement in order to receive consideration.
- The National Institutes of Health participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
- The NIH maintains a tobacco free work environment and campus.
- Additional selections may be made through this vacancy announcement.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Traditional rating and ranking of applications does not apply to this vacancy. Applications will be evaluated against the basic qualifications. Qualified candidates will be referred for consideration in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management direct hire guidelines. Veteran's Preference does not apply to the direct hire recruitment procedures. Selections made under this bulletin will be processed as new appointments to the civil service. Current civil service employees would, therefore, be given new appointments to the civil service.