7 days left
- Full Time
The School Nurse strengthens and facilitates the educational process by modifying or removing health-related barriers to learning; promotes optimal levels of well-being in students and staff.
- Education: Bachelor's degree; Master's degree preferred.
- Certificates & Licenses: Current license to practice as a registered nurse in Virginia. Current CPR Certification.
- Experience: Job related within specialized field with increasing levels of responsibility required.
- Participates in developing, implementing, and evaluating school health program goals, objectives, and procedures in cooperation with school personnel and community resources.
- Participates in planning programs that eliminate or minimize health problems of students that may interfere with learning.
- Participates in identifying and reporting environmental health and safety hazards (current and potential) for students and staff.
- Maintains and reviews student health records and statistical information regarding the health status of students and utilization of the school health service program.
- Communicates current health problems, needs and concerns of students to their parents and appropriate school staff.
- Participates on the Child Study team, assists in the identification of student to their parents and appropriate school staff.
- Maintains a system for providing first aid and emergency care.
- Administers medicine and treatments to students as approved by School Board Policy and Virginia Nursing Law.
- Provides health counseling to students to assist them in making decisions regarding their health and health behavior.
- Assists and provides support to students and parents in identifying and utilizing available and appropriate community health resources.
- Provides educational opportunities for students to assist them in developing self-care skills in dealing with health problems.
- Provides in-service education opportunities for school staff on health related issues.
- Collaborates with community agencies, health professional and school staff to identify the health needs, current and potential, of children and youth to facilitate school and community planning and intervention.
- Assumes responsibility for professional growth and development including participation in school-related programs.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.