Deputy to the Assistant Deputy Under Secretary for Health, Administrative Operations
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Physical Requirements: Most of the work performance is at a desk, in an office setting. The position does require touring of the medical center for direct supervision, survey and environment of care issues. The incumbent occasionally carries books and papers to and from meetings and conferences.
Articulates healthcare policy and VHA's mission, vision and plans to individuals and organizations, both within VA and outside the Department; represents VA and gives presentations to local and national meetings, professional organizations and other related organizations; develops and maintains collegial relationships with peers throughout the organization, as well as private and public organizations.
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following:
Citizen of the Unites States
English language proficiency
Physical Standards: All applicants must meet the physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to employment may be required.
Demonstrated Leadership Experience: The incumbent should possess the following technical qualifications and executive core qualifications (ECQs) required for this position. Typically, these qualifications would be gained through education, experience and training which reflect progressive development and achievement in responsible management or executive level assignments. An individual's total experience and education must demonstrate the ability to perform the duties of the position.
In addition to the education requirements, applicants should possess the following technical qualifications and Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) required for this position. Typically, these qualifications would be gained through education, experience and training which reflect progressive development and achievement in responsible management/executive level assignments in a health care at a national or Network level such as If you are currently a federal employee, this type of experience is typically found at positions the GS-15 level and above.
To meet the minimum qualifications, applicants must possess all of the necessary requirements for this position, you MUST SHOW in your RESUME that you possess the specialized experience, the five Mandatory Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and submit Technical Qualification(s) outlined below. Eligibility will be based on clear and concise accomplishments that emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments (with results), policy initiatives and level of contacts.
Applicants can obtain a sample resume along with additional information regarding the Executive Core Qualifications on the Internet at http://www.opm.gov/ses/recruitment/qualify.asp.
A. EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS:
- ECQ 1. LEADING CHANGE: Ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
- ECQ 2. LEADING PEOPLE: Ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
- ECQ 3. RESULTS DRIVEN: Ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
- ECQ 4. BUSINESS ACUMEN: Ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. Applicants may focus on resource management, with particular emphasis on financial management (budget).
- ECQ 5. BUILDING COALITIONS: Ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Applicants may demonstrate that they have external contacts as well as internal interactions.
- Knowledge of mission, organization programs and requirements of health care delivery systems, and the ability to manage and direct a health care program at a national level.
Extensive experience in the area of project management with evidence of progressively more responsible leadership assignments;
Evidence of self-directed, independent functioning and the ability to work effectively with others at all levels within the organization;
Skills in conceptualization, critical thinking, problem-solving, and follow-through;
Skills in needs assessment, policy and program development, implementation, and evaluation to improve the overall delivery of healthcare;
Skills in resource administration, personnel management, and supervision;
Knowledge of, and ability to use, analytical techniques in health systems program administration, evaluation, and research;
Ability to write and speak clearly, accurately, and effectively, and to make clear and effective
presentations to internal and external groups.
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must submit a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
Veterans' Preference does not apply to Senior Executive Equivalent positions.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
In describing your experience please is clear and specific. We will not make assumptions regarding your experience. Your resume and/or supporting documentation will be verified; errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment. Please follow all instructions carefully.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.