Computer Scientist (Informatics)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. One-year probationary period may be required.
6. Travel, transportation, and moving expenses will be paid: No.
7. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes.
8. Drug Screening Required: No.
9. Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: No.
10. Annual Leave for non-federal service may be authorized: No.
11. Research position: No.
12. Promotion potential: No.
13. Supervisory position: No.
Applicant must possess a bachelor's degree in computer science or a bachelor's degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. At least 15 of the 30 semester hours must have included any combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus. All academic degrees and course work must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions.
In addition to Basic Qualification, applicants must have one (1) year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service as defined below:
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skill and ability (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include in designing and implementing systems and applications using new concepts, technologies, and methods for statistical and public informatics systems.
Foreign Education: Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the education requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: https://www.cdc.gov/jobs/future-applicant-information.html.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
For more information on veterans' preference see HTP:www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov). For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://www.opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
To view the questionnaire, click on the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10133242
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document(s), view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates.
The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified. The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher).
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics).
- Advising and Consulting (3)
- Collaboration / Partnering
- Conflict Management
- Continuous Development
- Customer Service
- Data and Information Management
- Data Monitoring
- Decision Making
- Financial Management (2)
- Human Resources Management (2)
- Informatics (2)
- Information Security
- Interpersonal Skills
- Leveraging Diversity
- Oral Communication
- Performance Management
- Problem Solving
- Project Management (1)
- Quality Assurance
- Results Driven
- Software Development and Maintenance
- Software Knowledge (2)
- Team Building
- Technical Credibility
- Technology Management
- Written Communication