Information Technology Specialist (INFOSEC)
Occasional travel - travel may be required for training purposes.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- All supplemental documentation MUST BE received by the closing date if this appointment.
- Applicants must meet all time-in-grade and qualification requirements outlined in this vacancy by the closing date
- Incumbent must be able to obtain/maintain a DOE "L" security clearance.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) subject to testing for illegal drug use. The selectee must test negative prior to being appointed to this position and will be subject to random testing thereafter. Failure to pass or refusal to take subsequent tests could result in non-selection or disciplinary action, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
- Only experience obtained at the time of the application will be considered, however, you can update your resume and application submission at any time during the opening period of this vacancy announcement.
- Incumbent will be required to submit a OGE Form 450, Confidential Financial Disclosure Report form, prior to appointment to this position. For additional information, please visit the Office of Government Ethics.
- A preliminary background check may be completed before a new employee can begin work. Current Federal employees or other individuals with an existing completed background investigation may not be required to undergo another background check.
- Selections made under this announcement will be processed as new appointments to the Civil Service. Current Civil Service employees would, therefore, be given new appointments to the Civil Service.
- Status and non-status applicants from outside DOE selected for this position are required to serve a mandatory one year probabtionary period. A DOE career statuss employee selected for this position may be required to serve a new one year probationary period, pursuent to 5 CFR 315.802.
Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
1. Experience in project/program management principles, methods, and practices including developing policies, plans and schedules, estimating resource requirements and apply and extend, enhance, or optimize the existing architecture.
2. Experience in applying system engineering and risk management methodologies to cyber security management of large and complex enterprise information systems.
AND IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
1. Skill and the ability to define the scope and level of detail for information security and privacy plans to manage assigned projects.
2. Knowledge in applying the infrastructure protection environment and multiple information technology disciplines to review proposed new systems and software designs for potential security risks and impose strategies for eliminating potential weaknesses and omissions.
3. Skill in network architecture, system architecture, and application architecture in order to develop a comprehensive plan to protect corporate information systems.
4. Ability to apply risk analysis and assessments, configuration management, and systems certification and accreditation requirements to integrate information systems security disciplines.
"Experience" refers to paid and unpaid experience. Examples of qualifying unpaid experience may include: volunteer work done through National Service programs (such as Peace Corps and AmeriCorps); as well as work for other community-based philanthropic and social organizations. Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills; and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
No education is required at the GS-15 level.
Education cannot be substituted for specialized experience at this grade level
- The U.S. Department of Energy fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit the links at the bottom of this page or visit the FedsHireVets website.
- If you believe that you are eligible for the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), please visit the OPM ICTAP/CTAP website for more information. In order to be considered under the ICTAP program, your application must score within the pre-established "well-qualified" category as stated in the Qualifications section.
- Some positions may require completion of a probationary period of up to 1 (one) year.
- Many positions require successful completion of a background investigation.
- All males born after December 31st 1959, must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, WHO MUST Register,. if you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy: http://www.usajobs.gov/raps
Veteran Information: http://www.usajobs.gov/vi
Selective Service Registration: http://www.sss.gov
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Under this Direct-Hire announcement, all applicants who meet the basic qualification requirements at the grade level they are applying will be forwarded to the Selecting Official for consideration.
Veteran's Preference, Schedule A, Category Rating, CTAP/ICTAP, and other methods of consideration DO NOT APPLY for this announcement under a Direct Hire Authority.
If you resume is incomplete or if you fail to submit required documentation, you may be rated 'ineligible' or 'not qualified'.
You can make updates to your resume and/or documents during the open period of the announcement.
To preview questions please click here.