Works in the Logistics Distribution Center. Appointee performs a variety of semi-skilled duties in support of the Logistics Distribution Center operation. Operates a large motor vehicle delivering materials and supplies. Performs tasks related to shipping, receiving and physical inventory. Performs related work as required. Participates and/or supervises the off/on loading of supplies and equipment for delivery and storage. Operates a truck in making deliveries of supplies and equipment to designated locations. Moves supplies and equipment manually or by using mechanized and non-mechanized materials handling equipment, e.g., forklifts, motorized pallet jacks, carts, and dollies. Performs preventive maintenance and servicing of assigned vehicle and equipment and reports unsafe operating conditions. Assists in unpacking and storing bin and bulk storage items. Packs and/or marks stock items for shipment. Stores, stows, and organizes items in storage areas. Performs physical inventory, cycle counts and spot checks. Reports inventory discrepancies. Assists with shipping and receiving. Plans efficient routes for deliveries. Communicates with dispatcher to ensure efficient delivery. Performs basic data entry for record keeping and reporting functions. Performs operational checks on specialized small firefighting tools and equipment, e.g.; power saws, generators, hose, and nozzles. Makes basic repairs and/or processes equipment for delivery/pickup to contract vendor. Assists with the coordination of deliveries and pick-ups from outside venders, Fairfax County Government warehouse, and other locations. Provides rotating on-call coverage for after-hours logistics capability. Responds to emergency incident scene, Department Operating Center (DOC), or the county Emergency Operations Center (EOC) during catastrophic emergencies and performs National Incident Management System (NIMS) Incident Command System (ICS) duties within the Logistics Section.
This position works an 8-hour day, Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Overtime may be required during major emergency events or increased work load. After-hours on-call duty rotation is required at a minimum of one week per month. This position is listed as essential personnel and the incumbent is not afforded unscheduled leave or emergency leave due to inclement weather or other emergencies.
- Knowledge of the State Vehicle Code regulating truck operation;
- Skill in the operation of heavy motorized equipment;
- Ability to make minor repairs to heavy equipment;
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions;
- Ability to perform duties requiring manual dexterity, such as reaching, bending, turning, or moving hands, arms, feet and legs to operate hand and foot controls.
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to completion of the eighth school grade; plus one year of experience in the operation of up to two-and-one-half ton capacity trucks. Experience as outlined above may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the educational requirement.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Valid Class B Commercial Drivers License upon appointment;
- Valid Forklift Operator/Safety Training Certificate within 6 months of appointment.
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, driving record check and a commercial driver license screening to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Five years of truck driving, logistics, or emergency services support experience.
- Clean driving record.
- Forklift experience and certification.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to function with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with internal agency personnel and external agency stakeholders such as vendor representatives.
- National Incident Management System basic training, certifications, and experience.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.