- Supervises and provides direction, leadership and technical guidance to the team of professional engineer technicians and technical staff for complex project management, planning, budgeting, scheduling, and design, bidding and construction management of wastewater conveyance projects and ensures compliance with public health and environmental standards.
- Manages the Capital Improvements and Asset Management Programs activities including development of initial project intent, scope and justification, design review and evaluation of plans and specifications, construction duties including inspection and coordination, process and facilitates start-up and testing, O&M training and project closeout.
- Performs long term engineering and technical evaluations and operational troubleshooting that will result in the identification and implementation of Capital Improvement Projects.
- Manage Wastewater Collection Division's asset management program to include defining criteria used to determine both Consequence of Failure (COF) and Probability of Failure (POF) for both linear and pump station assets and prioritizing them based on acceptable Business Risk Exposure (BRE) index.
- Ensures public safety, public health, environmental, regulatory and code compliance of wastewater projects are adequately addressed through appropriate technical analysis and timely reporting to the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).
- Serves as the lead point of contact and technical advisor to senior management and using other stakeholders on matters pertaining to wastewater project design and construction, including contractual maters.
- May serve as a member of WCD Emergency Management Team in response to countywide emergencies.
- Reinforces a safety culture and continually seeks to expand safety knowledge through training, mentoring, self-study or other methods of continuous learning. Clearly communicates safety expectations. Resolves safety-related matters in a timely manner.
Graduation from a four-year college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies with a bachelor's degree in the appropriate engineering or architecture field; and five years of progressively responsible professional experience in the appropriate engineering or architectural field.
- Effectively manage multiple programs and projects, provide strong leadership, creative problem-solving and work collaboratively.
- Direct project management and leadership on large, complex projects, including experience in planning, budgeting, design, construction, project management, and contract administration of multifaceted wastewater pumping station, collection and conveyance, asset management, inter-departmental and partnership projects with Stormwater.
- Technical expertise and thorough knowledge of various wastewater pumping, collection and asset management processes and operations.
- Demonstrated expertise in managing multiple capital and special projects concurrently, while supervising a staff of 30 or more professional engineers and CCTV and Miss Utility technicians on projects to meet performance goals in the areas of budget, schedule, project quality, environmental compliance and customer satisfaction.
- Detailed knowledge of and experience evaluating and interpreting local, state, and federal site development codes and environmental regulations.
- Demonstrated expertise in developing innovative and efficient project management practices for the expedited completion of capital projects.
- Thorough knowledge of the development of Capital Project Budgets and Capital Improvement Programs (CIP).
- Proven experience in collaboration and teambuilding with various groups. Must be highly motivated; possess the skills necessary to work in a fast-paced office/field collaborative team environment; and be oriented toward providing outstanding customer service to all project stakeholders.
- Leader in providing strategy for process improvement and organizational development, safety training and awareness, employee development, quality assurance and sustainable development.
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills and experience with providing senior management and executive level briefings as well as public presentations on asset management and capital project issues.
A driver's license is required. Possession of a valid Virginia Professional Engineer or Architect license. An individual who possesses a valid Professional Engineer or Architect license in another state will be granted a temporary exemption to this requirement pending the Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, Certified Interior Designers & Landscape Architects decision regarding that individual's application for reciprocity. As a Professional Engineer or Registered Architect, signs and seals own work product and/or that of subordinate staff.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Is required to complete a background check and driving record check.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.