Health Benefits Operations Manager
The Transit Employees Health & Welfare Fund (“Fund”), located in Forestville, MD, is currently seeking a full-time Health Benefits Operations Manager, reporting directly to the Executive Director, who oversees the total operations of the Fund and reports to the Board of Trustees. The Fund is administered by a Board of Trustees comprised of equal numbers of Trustees appointed by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (“WMATA”) and the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 689 (“Local 689”). Participants in the Fund include the WMATA employees represented by Local 689 – bus operators, train operators, maintenance and construction workers, custodial workers, and clerical staff. The Fund offers three medical plan options – a PPO and two HMOs – to its membership of 8,400 participants, 3,600 retirees and their families.
The Health Benefits Operations Manager will be a part of the Fund’s management team and will work closely with the Executive Director and Office Manager in supporting the benefits administration operations and systems. The Health Benefits Operations Manager will focus on identifying opportunities for automation and process improvement, establishing production standards and measurements and developing, implementing, and monitoring policies, procedures and standards to ensure efficiency, accuracy and compliance with all relevant local, state and federal regulations and requirements.
The Fund is in the process of implementing a new benefits administration system that is being developed by an external system vendor. The Health Benefits Operations Manager will also have responsibility for overseeing the implementation of the new benefits administration system, including managing the system vendor and coordinating internal responses and resources as needed.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Health Benefits Operations Manager has three (3) primary areas of responsibility as follows:
- Benefits Process Analysis and Improvement (50%) – Gain understanding of current health benefits administration systems and related work flows/processes and identify areas for improvement; Develop, implement and interpret production/activity reports for office; Research, analyze, and propose cost-effective means of enhancing service levels and the effectiveness and efficiency of administration; Develop/redesign office policies and procedures; Work with and act as a liaison between system vendors, consultants, project managers and operations staff to implement process improvements; Develop ongoing process improvement initiatives for the Fund.
- Special Projects (40%) – Oversee initial implementation and ongoing management of the Fund’s benefits administration system; Coordinate office response in discovery process, business requirements documentation, implementation and testing with external systems vendor and other stakeholders; Organize stakeholder input and communicate results with stakeholders; Participate in and manage other special projects as assigned.
- Customer Service (10%) – Work with Office Manager and interact with participants as needed, responding to questions and guiding them to the appropriate service; Provide ongoing analysis of customer service processes; Develop and implement plans to continually train customer service representatives.
Qualifications and Skills
The ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
- Work Experience : Minimum of five (5) to ten (10) years of management experience required, including demonstrated experience in health plan/benefits administration, managing people and system conversion projects.
- Educational Background: Bachelor’s degree in management or related field required; advanced degree (e.g., MBA) or certification (e.g., CEBS) is preferred.
- Special Skills or Credentials: Have demonstrated strong leadership and judgment skills, be detail oriented, highly organized and resourceful, be a team player and have excellent interpersonal, and communication skills; Ability to meet stringent deadlines; Strong knowledge of health benefits, benefits administration, claims and/or HRIS systems and MS Office suite; Ability to identify office automation opportunities and prioritize areas for continued process improvement; Highly process oriented with an ability to interpret work processes to computer application system designers.
The Fund is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability.
To apply, please send your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job reference code 0218TEBOMWP in the subject line or with your application.