The Payroll Associate’s primary responsibilities are to assist in all aspects of payroll processing, including data entry, reconciliation of timesheets, paycheck distribution, and other payroll related functions as needed. The candidate must be proficient in accurate weekly and bi-weekly, union and non-union payroll processing. Must understand garnishments and be extremely detailed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assist with Master-file maintenance/New Employees – enter in HR & PR (pay rate, tax, direct deposit, and union deduction changes) & create project employee for job cost.
- Run Payroll Connect (link between HR & PR) and make necessary changes.
- Run weekly compensation change report in excel format and send to Accounting.
- Assist in entering all hours, payroll corrections, expense reimbursements, leave slips, bonuses, and miscellaneous pays for both field and office employees into computer payroll system.
- Assist with Payroll processing – review timesheets, data entry, timesheet import, reconcile, review over 40/60 hours report, run reports, print checks & advices, have checks signed (to be trained as backup).
- Mail Healthcare Marketplace Notice to each new hire.
- Weekly preparation of certified payroll reporting including number tracking, verification, scanning & distribution (including manual preparation if needed). To be review & approved by Payroll & Benefits Mgr.
- Prepare “Employee Listing w/address” as required for specific certified payroll jobs.
- Maintain “office” timesheets used by administrative assistants.
- Manual check preparation as needed (to be trained as backup).
- Gather documents and/or information as needed for the annual audit.
- Calculate retroactive pay increases and/or corrections.
- Prepare paychecks and advices for mailing – fold, stuff, verify count, seal & run through postage meter.
- Maintain supply of checks and direct deposit advices.
- Scanning – weekly payroll packages, garnishments, new hire reports, tax filing acknowledgements, etc.
- Email various weekly payroll reports/timesheets to multiple divisions.
- Assist HR with employment and unemployment verifications as required.
- Responsible for reporting all new hires to the State of Maryland via internet to comply with their new hire registration program.
- Responsible for providing per diem rates as needed.
- Identify & prepare spreadsheet for workers in DC on the 12th of each month for manually updating of DCSUTA magnetic media file.
- Assist with benefit administration – preparation of benefit packages for new hires, required mailings, compliance tracking, etc.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned, from time-to-time, that fall within the general scope and character of this position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- 3+ years of Payroll Processing experience with strong data entry skills
- Basic knowledge and understanding of federal, state, and local wages, over-time, tax and deduction regulations
- Good communication skills, tact, discretion, and dependability
- High degree of sensitivity to payroll-related deadlines, confidentiality and commitment to ensure all deadlines are met
- Knowledge of prevailing wage and certified payroll reporting preferred
- Proficient with Excel/Word
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics preferred
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
3 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Word 6.0 experience, Excel, Power Point and windows environment computer knowledge is required. Typing speed 45 wpm. Must be able to perform multiple tasks and have excellent organizational skills.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Extremely important to this position is the ability to communicate effectively in person, on the telephone, and in writing with customers and in-house personnel. Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently.
Ability to calculate Subtraction, Addition, Multiply and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must be experienced in and able to demonstrate proficiency with computerized accounts receivable software applications. High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Excel, MS Word)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds (file and record boxes). Must be able to go up and down stairs and visit the storage location occasionally. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Occasional visits to dusty, storage location.
Competitive pay and benefits. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer and participates in E-verify.