Volunteer Recruitment and Retention Coordinator (Recruiter)
Incorporated in 1922, the Montgomery County Volunteer Fire and Rescue Association (MCVFRA) is an advocacy organization for the volunteer fire, rescue, EMS, and administrative volunteers in Montgomery County, Md. Our members volunteer in one of our 19 local volunteer fire and rescue departments throughout the County. Currently, there are over 2,400 volunteers in the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service which is a combination volunteer/career service.
This position’s primary function is to build organizational capacity by raising the MCVFRA and 19 local volunteer fire and rescue department’s visibility among its multiple constituents, e.g. youth, mentors, businesses, community organizations, and funders. The expected outcomes of activities executed by the VRRC will be to recruit volunteers for membership and training as firefighters and emergency medical services providers throughout the 19 volunteer departments.
Must use computers and program related software proficiently and efficiently; develop recruitment and selection procedures; interview for effective selection of volunteer candidates; conduct oral presentations; communicate in a friendly and informative manner with people from a wide variety of cultural and ethnic backgrounds; communicate by phone or in person in a one-to-one or group setting; comprehend and make inferences from written material; produce written documents with clearly organized thoughts using proper sentence construction, punctuation, and grammar; work independently and possess strong time management skills; identify program needs; work cooperatively with other county employees and the general public; other related duties and responsibilities as required. This position reports to the MCVFRA Executive Director.
Basic Position Responsibilities:
- Recruit volunteers from community to meet the needs of the 19 local volunteer fire and rescue departments.
- Staff recruiting station and schedule volunteer staffing for recruiting station.
- Responsible and reports to the MCVFRA Executive Director.
- Identify potential sources of volunteers and implement strategies to reach all communities.
- Establish partnerships in the community to ensure incoming flow of new volunteers.
- Actively schedule and conduct recruitment presentations in schools, and community groups.
- Continually update and enhance recruitment presentations and materials.
- Update and enhance the MCVFRA website to serve as a resource for program participants and to communicate with the public for review and approval.
- Produce outreach and publicity materials.
- Draft and disseminate press releases and public service announcements to support recruitment efforts and visibility.
- Help to design and produce events that will elevate the volunteer’s profile in the community.
- Draft/disseminate/format program materials for public events e.g., community fairs and events.
- Perform daily news searches and keeping staff abreast of relevant local and national news related to youth, education, and recruiting.
- Manage Volunteer Basic Orientation Course (VBOC) for new recruits including coordination, planning and instructing.
- Use Google platform and Insightly and other CRM programs to manage data and advertising campaign.
- Conduct regular follow-ups with applicants, members, LFRDs, and County government.
- Recruit, train, and manage student and community interns at recruiting station.
- Prepare quarterly SAFER reports, statistics, and data for inclusion in federally required reports.
- Maintain records in both electronic and paper format.
- Prepare monthly reports for MCVFRA Board and membership.
- Attend monthly MCVFRA and Board meetings as needed.
- Plan, prepare, and chair bi-monthly MCVFRA recruitment committee meetings.
- Manage MC Agricultural Fair booth each summer.
- Schedule, prepare, and staff school events – approximately 20 each year.
- Update, review, and know PIMS, SAMS, and other County maintained data systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Sales/ Marketing - Create and seize all opportunities to develop and maintain relationships with business, organizations, social groups, faith-based organizations and media outlets to recruit volunteers and publicize MCVFRA activities.Ability to “sell” the benefits and experience of volunteering in public service to diverse audiences.
- Public Speaking - High level of comfort and ability in speaking to small and large diverse audiences of differing ages.
- Interpersonal - Relates well to all kinds of people, builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; capable of diffusing difficult situations comfortably.
- Results/Outcome Oriented – Is motivated by results; can be counted on to meet requirements and exceed goals, sets clear objectives and measures, monitors process and progress.
- Fire, rescue, and EMS – certified and experienced emergency provider preferred.
- Recruitment and retention employment with substantiated experience and successes in effective volunteer recruitment and retention activities highly desirable.
- Minimum of Bachelor degree in social service, sales/ marketing, business or related field or equivalent experience. Consideration will be given to those who have over 100 credit hours and are currently taking courses with completions of a degree within 12 months of employment.
- Previous work experience in recruitment, sales, marketing, or communications.
- Experience working with volunteers in an urban environment.
- Experience and knowledge in the volunteer fire-rescue service.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must possess good computer skills including website management, social networking, and database management.
- Must have a clean criminal history.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Be willing to commute regularly throughout Montgomery County.
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Strong writing and oral communication skills.
- Experience in document layout and design, and web editing, and/or willingness to learn.
- Proficiency in basic office software (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and basic database skills.
- Ability to organize information graphically for presentations and publications.
- Strong information and resource gathering skills.
- Event planning experience is desired, extremely useful, but not essential.
- Media relations experience would be extremely useful, but not essential.
- A desire to be part of a busy public service organization undergoing change and seeking to maintain itself as a leader in its field.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Experience networking with organizations in business and community.
- Ability to work under stressful situations.
- Work within established deadlines.
- The candidate must be highly organized, creative, multi-tasker and critical thinker who is at ease in both professional and informal environments, attuned to the interests of youth, able to interact comfortably with diverse organizations and individuals, and comfortable working both independently and as part of a collaborative team to plan and complete tasks.
Volunteer Recruitment and Retention Coordinator (VRRC) position is an at will position within the MCVFRA which dictates that the employment and compensation for this position may be terminated at any time.
The Volunteer Recruitment and Retention Coordinator (VRRC) will be paid in accordance with the grant management package. The starting salary is between $41,500 and 49,525 commensurate with experience. There is no overtime compensation.
This position requires nights, weekends and holidays and is based on the needs of the project and will be agreed upon by the President of the MCVFRA and successful applicant. The schedule can be flexible but must coincide with the needs of the grant and recruitment needs of our departments without delays. Worksite is located at 230 N. Washington Street, Rockville. MD. Travel throughout Montgomery County, Maryland.
The Selection Process:
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to the address listed below. All materials must be submitted by 5:00 PM on Monday, February 12, 2018.
Further details can be found at www.mcvfra.org. Please return cover letter and resume to:
Executive Director Eric N. Bernard at email@example.com subject: VRRC Application/Resume
All inquiries please refer to web address www.mcvfra.org