Assistant Editor, HUNTERS’ LEADERSHIP FORUM
Provides editorial support essential to producing the HLF magazine in an accurate and punctual manner according to established standards and policies. Researches, reviews and writes articles on firearms, ammunition and all other aspects of the shooting sports; tests firearms and accessories; evaluates writing of other authors; editorial liaison with firearms industry and advertising representatives.
1. Coordinates efforts and output of the HLF staff in support of accurate general editorial copy as well as technical columns.
2. Collects, edits, and researches hunter interest bylined and non-bylined articles for the HLF on a monthly basis.
3. Writes captions, headlines and subheads.
4. Evaluates and assists in judging suitability of freelance writers’ submissions.
5. Edits manuscripts from outside authors.
6. Edits and proofreads manuscripts, page proofs and bluelines for each issue.
7. Acts as editorial liaison with firearms manufacturers and advertising representatives, both domestic and foreign, for HLF.
8. Handles some member communications, both by mail and telephone, on subjects dealing with all aspects of firearms, ammunition and the shooting sports.
9. Performs photography, as required, when engaged in off-site writing assignments.
10. Works with Photography Department in producing action and static firearms photographs on location and in the studio.
11. Travels as assigned.
12. Extended hours required.
13. Other duties as assigned.
Primary coordination occurs with Editorial and art staffs of HLF, as well as Technical Department, Photography Department and Contributing and Field Editors. Also coordinates with other departments within the Publications Division; minor coordination with other NRA divisions. Frequent contact with firearms industry, government agencies, shooting sports organizations and NRA members.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor of Arts degree in English or Journalism; minimum five to eight years work experience, with three of those on a magazine or newspaper editorial staff. Minimum five years experience with and specific knowledge of firearms, ammunition and accessories. Familiarity with legalities, manufacturing, sales and distribution methods. Publications and photography experience desired. Working knowledge of Second Amendment issue.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
Ability to write and edit articles of a firearms, ammunition and shooting sports nature, and judge suitability of manuscripts submitted by freelance authors. Ability to shoot all types of firearms with a high degree of proficiency. In-depth knowledge of firearms and firearms history. Ability to determine technical accuracy and content of photos. Ability to edit intelligently and effectively; strong proofreading skills; ability to recognize and produce effective writing. Familiarity with magazine layout and production; photography skills desirable. Ability to work within strict guidelines and under pressure, take direction and meet strict deadlines. Ability to carry several projects through to completion simultaneously; work with minimum supervision. Attention to detail and organization mandatory. Working knowledge of word processing software and electronic publishing required.
To apply, please send resume with cover letter and salary expectations (REQUIRED) to email@example.com. The NRA is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer (minority/women/disabled). Please visit careers.nra.org to learn more about working for us.
Apply for Assistant Editor, HUNTERS’ LEADERSHIP FORUM
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly