ASSISTANT RESEARCH FELLOW
Occasional travel - Up to 10%
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Background or Security Investigation: This is a Non-Sensitive position which requires a background investigation.To qualify for this position, you must:
- Have a Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education (or international equivalent) in an appropriate discipline such as international security (defense/war) studies, international relations/affairs, public policy, and/or public management
- Have a minimum of 2 years of relevant professional expertise or experience
- This position requires the incumbent to possess excellent written and communications skills in English and Spanish
- Have a record of high quality, shared and independent analytic research skills:
- Have proven capacity to propose and carry out empirical research that leads to practical policy advice and implementable programmatic recommendations
- Have proven capacity to conduct cross/multi-disciplinary analysis and synthesis
- Have proven capacity to write under the strictest of professional standards
- Have proven capacity to effectively organize and communicate findings to a policy or practitioner oriented audience
- Have proven ability to rapidly acquire knowledge and disposition to learn from multiple methodologies, models, frameworks or areas of inquiry
- Have a record of high quality in writing and engagement:
- Have proven ability to work collaboratively by placing team's mission and professional integrity before personal agenda
- Have proven ability to operate and perform in a matrixed organization with multiple stakeholders and priorities
- Have proven detailed-oriented and organizational skills
- Have proven ability to self-manage and perform within a changing and fast paced work environment
- Have proven ability to operate with professionalism and proficiency in international environments amongst senior officials
- Experience with fieldwork research methodologies
- Knowledge of defense or security sector strategic planning
- Knowledge of new public management and governance benchmark models
- Existing professional network of experts focused on defense and/or security sector reform
- Experience living, working and/or studying in other countries in the Western Hemisphere
WJPC has a comprehensive benefits package that includes retirement, social security, and thrift savings; health, life, and long term care insurance; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. WJPC employees enjoy flexible work schedules, transit subsidy, and the opportunity to telecommute.
Initial Probationary Period: You will be required to serve an initial probationary period of 18 months.
Reemployed Annuitants: Department of Defense has the authority to hire annuitants without reduction in pay. For more information, go to: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V300.pdf
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A screening panel will review your resume and narrative answers to the assessment questions to evaluate your qualifications for the position.WJPC uses a multi-tier selection process for academic positions You must attach a separate document with answers to the questions listed below. The following questions will be reviewed by the WJPC screening panel
- Analytic Research Skills: Describe your professional expertise and experience in conducting empirical research in English and Spanish and using cross multi/disciplinary analysis. Please describe your years of experience, types of research, and focus areas of research as they relate to defense and security issues. Explicitly indicate if your research has focused on Defense Management or Reform, International Security/Development Assistance, or New Public Policy and/or Governance. Also, indicate if the research involved fieldwork. Describe your experience developing, maintaining, and using software and/or databases for sharing knowledge or for research and analysis.
- Writing Skills: Describe your experience in written, oral, and visual contributions regarding security and defense studies such as publications, books, articles, reports, or briefs. Please indicate if you were the sole author (conceptualized), co-author (collaborated), or assisted others in the development of these products. Also, please indicate if you have presented finding to Spanish speaking audiences including decision makers, practitioners, and peer-researchers.
- Communication and Engagement: Please describe your number of years of experience and expertise in working collaboratively with teams within a matrixed organization. Describe your experience working with senior foreign and domestic officials. Describe your experience with standards of professionalism and proficiency required to fulfill your duties.
Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation