Supervisory Librarian (Original Cataloging)
6 days left
- Full Time
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.Basic Educational Requirements for the 1410 Series:
- Completion of 1 full academic year of graduate study in library science in an accredited college or university, in addition to completion of all work required for a bachelor's degree;
- A total of at least 5 years of a combination of college-level education, training, and experience. To qualify on this basis, the applicant must establish conclusively that the education, training, and experience provided a knowledge and understanding of the theories, principles, and techniques of professional librarianship; a knowledge of literature resources; and the knowledge and abilities essential for providing effective library and information services.
In addition to meeting the basic entry qualification requirements, applicants must have directly related education and/or specialized experience in the amounts required for the grade level as shown below.
Experience for Grade 12: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position specialized experience is defined as: managing a cataloging unit or department that performs original cataloging and copy cataloging in English and foreign languages. Such experience could include implementing new rules and standards into existing workflows, completing large scale cataloging projects, and working with colleagues to initiate and complete new projects.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Supervisory and Administrative Positions
For supervisory positions, see the "Qualification Standard for Supervisory Positions" in Section IV-A of this Manual. For positions concerned with administration, management, or direction of library programs, candidates must meet all other requirements for the particular grade and also show that they possess the required administrative and/or managerial ability to perform successfully the duties of such positions. Education, training, or experience of the candidate should demonstrate, e.g., ability to manage or direct a library, group of libraries, or library system; ability to plan, organize, and direct the development and execution of library programs, policies, and procedures; ability to plan or conduct management studies, public relations, and educational activities, ability to plan, develop and carry out administrative activities of the library or library system concerned with budget and finance, personnel, plant and equipment, etc.
Flexible Spending Accounts - http://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp
Health Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp
Leave - http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp
Life Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp
Long Term Care Insurance - http://www.ltcfeds.com
Retirement Program - http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
- Ability to oversee and manage a diverse staff.
- Skill utilizing national metadata content standards (e.g., RDA, AACR2, DACS, etc.), MARC and non-MARC encoding/structural standards (e.g. MODS, XML, EAD, etc.), integration of emerging standards related to machine-readability.
- Knowledge of the cataloging functionality of Horizon or any successive ILS used for bibliographic control and access, OCLC Connexion Client and the OCLC Macro Language (OML).
- Knowledge of trends and issues affecting the provision of access to information about print, media, and electronic collections, and the organization of the collections, including their physical processing.
Applicants who meet or exceed minimum qualifications will be assigned to one of three category groups based on job-related criteria: Best Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most of the job related competencies above. Better Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and satisfies most of the job related competencies above. Good Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements, but does not satisfy most of the job related competencies above to a substantive degree. This category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs system and/or have not answered all of the vacancy questions will not be considered for this position.
Important Note: Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience. Your resume should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
To preview questions please click here.