We are currently seeking Substitute Teachers with experience teaching at the Elementary, Middle, or High School levels.
Rochambeau, located in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, is an independent non-profit school, accredited by the French Ministry of Education and operating within the convention with the Agency for French Teaching Abroad (AEFE). As a member of this unique network of nearly 500 schools in 135 countries worldwide, we offer the best of an education system acclaimed for the breadth of its program and its teaching of skill, providing its students with critical thinking, discipline and rigor. Rochambeau is the only school in Washington DC and its surroundings to provide preschool through 12th grade education based on a unique combination of the French programs and a high quality English program.
JOB TITLE: Substitute Teacher – Elementary, Middle, and/or High School.
SCHEDULE: Intermittent, Full time or Part time, based on replacement assignment
Substitute teachers serve a vital role in maintaining classroom instruction during a regular teacher’s absence. Substitute teachers need to demonstrate: commitment to student learning, subject area knowledge, passion for working with children
Substitute teachers need to have schedule and location flexibility.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Perform regular teacher’s class plan while the teacher is absent, including but not limited to the following:
- Communicate and collaborate with colleagues, supervisors, and students
- Maintain, as fully as possible, the established routines and procedures of the school and classroom to which assigned
- Assume the responsibilities for instructing classes when a teacher is absent
- Assume responsibility for overseeing pupil behavior in class and during lunch and other activities
- Maintain appropriate records including checking test papers, recording grades, checking student homework assignments and projects, and the necessary clerical work required to maintain student records for a teacher who is absent
- Provide for individualized and small group assistance for students as indicated by lesson plans
- Follow all school policies, rules and procedures to which regular teachers are subject and which good teaching dictates
SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS will provide instruction as follows:
- At the Elementary School level:
- Substitute Teachers will instruct on general studies including Reading, Language Arts, Social Studies, Science, and Math.
- Additional Substitute Teachers will instruct on Physical Education, Music, and/or Art.
- At the Middle and High School Level:
- Substitute Teachers will instruct in one, or preferably more, of the following areas of study: Math, Science, Social Studies, French, English, and/or other languages.
- Bachelor's degree in applicable field of education from an accredited college or university
- 3-5 years of teaching experience at the elementary, middle, and/or high school level.
- Meets Maryland state certification requirements in appropriate field of education
- French Certification for Teaching desirable.
- Knowledge of both the American and French Education Systems.
- Bilingual French and English required. French as native language desirable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Considerable knowledge of teaching methods, learning styles, academic style; ability to work effectively with other teachers, administrators and other school staff in organizing and implementing the program at the elementary, middle, and/or high school level; excellent oral and written communication and human relations skills.
This position is based on an interim basis. All substitute teachers are scheduled on an assignment basis associated with the regular teacher’s absence. The assignment can be of various duration on a full-time or part-time schedule (e.g., in the case of leave).
Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
Rochambeau, The French International School, is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, generic information or any protected class prohibited by law.