Advertising Sales Executive
Who We Are
"The advancement of science should be the chief concern of a nation that would conserve and increase the welfare of its people."
-James McKeen Cattell, former AAAS President and Editor of Science
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people. For over a century, AAAS has been a force for science, from helping to establish science as a credible field in the 19th century to using satellite imaging technology to document human rights abuses in 2007. We are recognized as the world’s largest general scientific society and the proud publisher of the Science family of journals. Past presidents have included astronomer Edward Charles Pickering, anthropologist Margaret Mead, and biologist Stephen Jay Gould. Our mission is centered on the belief that STEM research and education can help solve many of the challenges the world faces today.
AAAS is a culture steeped in history, but adaptive to change and new ideas. We recognize the hard work of our employees and encourage the development of our staff. Our colleagues represent an array of expertise from scholarly publishing to digital marketing, educational research to government relations, all with a shared focus on mission. At AAAS, you are part of a talented team, dedicated to advancing science and serving society.
Work with Us
Science, the weekly journal published by AAAS, is seeking a talented Advertising Sales Executive to join its Office of Publishing, based in Washington, DC. Reporting to the Sales Manager, US, the core responsibility of this role is to carry out sales activities to maintain and develop sales of Science’s print and digital recruitment advertising products.
The Advertising Sales Executive position is a full-time role designed for ambitious and energetic sales oriented individual. Candidates should have excellent communication skills, proven sales record, initiative, and attention to detail.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Meet or exceed expected sales goals
- Responsible for business development and growth
- Make a high level of outbound phone calls
- Maintain and develop client relationships
- Handle incoming ad inquiries; advise clients and assist with ad placement
- Prospect for leads from competitive publications, websites and other sources
- Create opportunities to arrange appointments and make sales presentations to sell across the given product portfolio.
- Staying abreast of market trends, changes and developments and providing continuous feedback to sales manager
- Record all activities in Salesforce
- Represent Science at select industry meetings and career fairs, as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Extensive university or college level training leading to a Bachelor’s degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least two years of sales experience, preferably in advertising sales
- Track record of closing sales and meeting goals
- High level of initiative and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills and consultative selling approach
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to meet expected sales calls over a specific period of time
- Required proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of customer relationship management software such as Salesforce is a plus
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter by February 25, 2018. If we think you might be a good fit for the role, we will contact you with next steps.
AAAS is an EO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.