Supervisor, Special Education
See Detailed Description
The Special Education Supervisor is responsible for the oversight and direction of activities related to compliance and program support involving the instructional program for students with disabilities. The supervisor works with assigned school staff to ensure accountability and compliance with the implementation of state regulations and local procedures related to IDEA and ensures that IEPs are implemented as written.
* Provide ongoing professional development for administrators and school-based staff for information presented at special education contact meetings to ensure accurate application
* Coordinate IEP process with program specialists and participate in IEP meetings in contentious situations to provide leadership and support to staff and parents and facilitate conflict resolution
* Monitors IEPs, behavior plans and special education programs to ensure accountability and compliance; performs accountability checks for behavior intervention plans to ensure that plans have been developed and implemented
* Meet on a regular basis with school based special education staff as a collaborative learning team to discuss concerns, problem solve situations and provide guidance on student/program issues
* Consult with lead special education staff, such as deans, department chairs, lead teachers and others responsible for program implementation to ensure fidelity and program integrity
* Monitor the implementation of PBIS in all schools, the integration of bullying prevention in PBIS, Restorative Prices, and other safe school practices to ensure positive discipline approaches are used consistently in schools; provide direction and alternative strategies to school based administrators for the discipline of students with disabilities, per Policy §5-55
* Develop and monitor the implementation of school based inclusive practices, such as master scheduling, collaborative learning teams, co-teaching and other effective practices to ensure implementation with fidelity
* Postgraduate Professional License with endorsements in one or more areas of Special Education; administrative endorsement and/or special education leadership certificate required
* Minimum of five years of successful experience in progressively responsible positions and administrative experience or program supervision
* Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and professional and personal characteristics necessary for working effectively with school personnel and members of the community
The Special Education Supervisor reports to the Director of Special Education.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects or tools; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or bend and may be required to lift up to approximately 25 pounds.