Special Events Manager
Thank you for considering Howard Community College in your search. About Howard Community College:
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
Responsible for managing special events and other revenue-generating activities for the development office/educational foundation.
- Responsible for coordinating and managing fundraising special events
- Oversees administrative details of carrying out special events as assigned, including the setup, break down, and wrap-up for events and monitoring ongoing needs to ensure the success of the events
- Supports the solicitation of event sponsorships and donations
- Investigates and solicits donations of in-kind services or goods to ensure event success
- Manages special event volunteers
- Manages foundation and special events social media and marketing efforts
- Coordinates event promotional materials, communications and news releases with the public relations and marketing department
- Composes, edits and prepares correspondence, reports and other communications as necessary
- Produces event reports
- Prioritizes multiple project assignments
- Performs tasks with a high degree of accuracy and efficiency
- Assists in researching and compiling information necessary for fundraising purposes
- Prepares materials for committee meetings
- Develops and manages budget for each event and provides ongoing reconciliation
- Continually updates skills for increased proficiency with technology, software packages and the latest in fundraising efforts
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- Associates degree or equivalent credits from an accredited college or university
- Five years of full-time, progressively responsible experience in coordinating and managing special events, preferably in higher education
- Ability to work effectively with diverse constituents including faculty, staff, students, college trustees, HCC Educational Foundation board of directors, corporate executives, community leaders, and alumni
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Previous database experience and strong Microsoft office skills
- Ability to work under pressure, organize and implement work schedule effectively, meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to coordinate projects/activities including managing volunteers
- Knowledge of proper business English, grammar, spelling and typing formats
- Pleasant and assured telephone manner
- Some weekends and evenings to cover events and meetings
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and adhere to the development office conflict of interest policy
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this job
- Performs all duties while considering the impact of any actions on the college's sustainability initiatives in the areas of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic prosperity
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: 8:30 a.m to 5:00 p.m.
Compensation: $50,820 plus excellent health insurance, paid leave and tuition reimbursement
FLSA Status: Exempt
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: 02/09/18
As a participating member of the Maryland Retirement and Pension System, HCC offers two retirement options: The Pension, which requires a 7% employee contribution and The ORP, a 403(b) with a 7.25% employer contribution only. Employees in positions that do not require a bachelor's degree must participate in The Pension. Employees that possess a bachelor's degree and hold professional positions that require a bachelor's degree may choose to participate in either The Pension or The ORP.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100. The TDD line phone # is: 443-518-4822.
- Cover letter
Link for application: