State Advocacy Coordinator
(C) Management Inc. is seeking a motivated, detail-oriented individual with excellent written and verbal communication skills and an interest in health policy to assist the Director in advancing the policy agendas of our clients.
The State Advocacy Coordinator will report to the Director of Health Policy. This position will assist in developing and advancing clients’ legislative and regulatory priorities, maintaining relationships with outside stakeholders, managing projects for the policy department on a variety of healthcare and oncology-related policy issues, and regularly communicating with client boards, including providing policy updates at client meetings. The State Advocacy Coordinator will specifically manage state policy portfolios for several clients, including communicating with local government officials, participating in coalitions, and advocating for specific bills and regulations at the state level.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with state society account executives to meet the policy needs of our clients, including growing the advocacy profiles of our clients with elected officials and positioning our clients as a resource for state and federal policymakers;
- Track and identify emerging advocacy issues, provide relevant information and guidance to clients, and develop positions as needed on issues related to reimbursement, Medicare and Medicaid, ACA implementation, clinical trials, payment and delivery system reform, workforce, and access to cancer care;
- Maintain an understanding of reimbursement and policy issues applicable to the oncology and/or health care communities by reading trade publications and attending pertinent meetings as requested;
- Draft official client communications, including position statements, letters to policymakers, membership emails, and website policy updates;
- Facilitate client participation in coalitions including calls, meetings, letter writing, outreach and consensus building with patient and provider organizations;
- Serve as the main point of contact for client boards throughout the country on specific policy issues, and prepare and provide legislative and regulatory presentations at client meetings;
- Work closely with internal meetings staff to identify speakers and develop policy content for client meeting agendas.
The individual serves as a resource to the Director of Health Policy, the Executive Director and the clients’ Board(s) of Trustees and assists with a variety of projects and activities. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required to interact with member health care professionals, Congressional offices, state legislatures and industry leaders. Strong organizational skills are required to track multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines, produce high-quality materials and ensure that clients and members receive excellent services. The individual in this position demonstrates a strong interest in developing his or her knowledge of company/association policies, procedures, products and services to appropriately perform the duties outlined above. The individual also demonstrates an interest in developing his or her knowledge of the health policy landscape and the ability to handle projects independently when necessary.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of three years experience in the health care and/or advocacy field. Knowledge of the legislative and regulatory process is required, and knowledge of reimbursement issues and/or Medicare in the cancer care setting is preferred. S/he should have strong analytical abilities and high quality written and verbal communication skills. Knowledge of both Congressional and state level policy making. Strong time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple priorities. Strong professional and interpersonal skills to maintain relationships with clients and outside organizations.
Overnight and local travel is an essential function of this position (approximately 25%).
(c ) Management, Inc. offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, Life and AD&D insurance, Short-Term Disability/Long-Term Disability, and a Health Saving Account Plan. Paid vacation, sick, and personal days, holidays, 401(k) Savings Plan, a Tuition Reimbursement benefit, free parking and more! For consideration, please submit a resume with cover letter and salary expectations to: