ACADEMIC SPECIALIST (Reference Librarian Team Lead)
Occasional travel - Less than 15%
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Background or Security Investigation: This is a Non-Sensitive position which requires a background investigation..To qualify for this position, you must:
- Have a Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education (or international equivalent) in Library and Information Science or other appropriate discipline. The master's degree must have an American Library Association accreditation.
- Have a minimum of 5 years of professional experience in instruction, research and reference services in an academic, military, medical, special, or public library.
- Have demonstrated knowledge of research methodology. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to initiate and maintain positive and productive working relationships with faculty, researchers, students, and colleagues in a group or individual setting.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills, including creating and delivering presentations; Ability to think creatively, make decisions quickly, and work productively in a rapidly-changing environment.
- Have the ability to adjust priorities, take initiative, set goals, and manage projects and time wisely. Ability to work harmoniously as a team player and thrive in a team-based environment. Ability to motivate a team and initiate and implement new program areas.
NDU has a comprehensive benefits package that includes retirement, social security, and thrift savings; health, life, and long term care insurance; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. NDU employees enjoy flexible work schedules, transit subsidy, and the opportunity to telecommute.
Initial Probationary Period: You will be required to serve an initial probationary period of 18 months.
Reemployed Annuitants: Department of Defense has the authority to hire annuitants without reduction in pay. For more information, go to: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V300.pdf
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A screening panel will review your resume and narrative answers to the assessment questions to evaluate your qualifications for the position. NDU uses a multi-tier selection process for academic positions You must attach a separate document with answers to the questions listed below. The following questions will be reviewed by the NDU screening panel.
- Librarian Experience: Describe your experience as a librarian to include number of years in specialist focus areas. Areas of expertise may include but are not limited to: research librarian, reference librarian, system librarian, collections development, instruction librarian, etc. Please discuss the type of library you currently or have previously performed librarian duties such as an academic, military, government, medical, public and/or special library.
- Reference Services: Describe your experience providing research and reference services in an academic, military, government, medical, public, and/or special library. Please indicate the level of the library (undergraduate or graduate) if applicable as well as the type of services provided such as face to face or virtual systems.
- Instructional Design/Curriculum Development: Describe your experience working collaboratively with faculty or others to identify requirements and conduct research to identify and obtain learning materials and resources. Please describe the format of courses designed and subject areas of developed course curriculum.
- Curating Library Collections: Describe your experience evaluating requirements and building library collections in all formats to meet patron needs.
- Team Leadership: Describe your experience working collaboratively to lead a reference team to manage multiple projects and competing deadlines. Please describe any library support programs you have designed, developed, or provided influential assistance with to benefit the team's performance.
Read more Security clearance Not Applicable