Assistant Director of Career Development
Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : $43,000 - $46,000; commensurate with education and experience
Web Announcement :
Assistant Director of Career Development
George Mason Universitys Schar School of Policy and Government is seeking an Assistant Director of Career Development. The Schar School prepares undergraduate and graduate students to be leaders and managers who solve problems and advance the public good in all sectors and levels of government. As an integral part of the Schar School Graduate Student Services team located on the Arlington, Virginia campus, this full-time, twelve month administrative faculty position has a significant role in the implementation of the Schools career development activities provided to graduate students (masters and doctoral) and alumni.
The Assistant Director reports to the Director of Career Development and collaborates with other members of the Student Services team on joint initiatives designed to foster the professional and academic growth of students.
- Career Advising - Chiefly focused on student career counseling, the Assistant Director assists students and alumni with the development of their career goals and provides individual and group advising on resume preparation, job search strategies, and interview skills.
- Conducting Professional Development Workshops - This position is responsible for conducting workshop presentations to address the career development needs of students.
- Planning and organizing workshop logistics and assisting in the planning of the annual Career/Internship Fair for the School.
- Representing Schar School career services at school recruitment activities and collaborating with the Director of Career Development on the full range of career services including employer relations efforts. Required Qualifications:
- A masters degree in higher education counseling, student affairs or related field.
- Relevant experience in career services involving students pursuing a professional degree and experience delivering individual career advising services.
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including the ability to conduct presentations to large audiences.
- Knowledge of relevant employment trends and internet job search tools.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- The ability to use technology to support data management and presentations; experience using Career Service Management (CSM) systems. Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience providing presentations via video and with online service delivery.
- Event management experience. Interested applicants should apply online at http://jobs.gmu.edu and attach a cover letter, resume/curriculum vita, as well as a list of at least three professional references electronically. Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA287z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume/curriculum vita, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and 130 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :