Manager, Business Development
The Partnership for Public Service is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with a big mission: we’re working to ensure the federal government is dynamic, innovative and that it effectively serves the American people. We’ve got a great team that helps make it happen.
Our staff is diverse in experience and perspective, but at our core, we share a lot of the same traits. We are mission-driven, creative, collaborative, optimistic and inclusive.
Our work is strategic, fast-paced and guided by our values:
- Passion for public service and our work toward a more effective government
- People who promote a culture of learning, leadership, collaboration, inclusion and respect
- Persistence to drive change, take strategic risks and deliver results
- Promise to be trustworthy, nonpartisan and fiscally responsible
We hire smart and friendly people who are great at what they do and good to one another in the process. Are you ready to join our team?
Fostering change in the federal government starts with improving the effectiveness of agency leaders. Leadership is the primary driver of employee satisfaction and commitment and is an integral part of the Partnership’s theory of change. By focusing on human capital strategies such as leadership development and employee engagement, the Partnership helps to cultivate knowledgeable, action-oriented problem-solvers capable of driving results and innovation.
The Partnership is looking for a dynamic, self-motivated, proactive and collaborative business development professional. As a manager on the business development team, you will play a critical role in identifying and developing opportunities, building relationships with federal clients and growing the Partnership’s reach, impact and revenue.
The ideal candidate will be a flexible, positive team player who is able to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment. It is important to be customer-focused, adaptable, and have an entrepreneurial drive. As a manager on the business development team, you should excel at developing and selling new ideas, managing multiple and varied assignments, and building and maintaining strong relationships with senior executives.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be responsible for growing participation in our open-enrollment leadership development programs
- Partner with internal program teams to understand program objectives, audience and goals; develop enrollment strategies; and coordinate and track enrollment progress on a range of programs
- Partner with our Communications team to broaden our reach in marketing programs to federal agencies
- Develop long-term relationships with agencies that routinely participate in our programs and identify new relationship opportunities to expand our customer base
- Maintain rapport with agencies by making visits and presentations, collecting feedback, exploring specific needs and anticipating new opportunities for engagement
- Furnish market intelligence and advice, counsel and general support on all business development efforts across the organization
- Cultivate new opportunities and help transition the work over to the appropriate team and/or program manager for execution
- Customer Focus/Service
- Problem Solving
- Thinking Strategically
- Getting Results
- Interpersonal Skills
REQUIRED/PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of five years of demonstrated business development success generating revenue in the federal market
- Proven ability to prospect, network, research, analyze and communicate (both oral and written) effectively
- Familiarity with federal government operations, including federal contracting, general management issues; consulting experience and/or prior work in the federal environment strongly preferred
- Knowledge of leadership programs preferred but not required
- Strong skills using the Microsoft Office suite of software, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Commitment to public service and the mission of the Partnership
- Bachelor’s degree required
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY/REPORTING STRUCTURE
This position reports to the Director of Agency Outreach and Business Development. This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment in Washington, DC and at external venues, both local and out-of-state. This position requires consistent use of office equipment such as computer, telephone, printer and scanner.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time exempt position with regular work hours Monday-Friday, 9 am to 6 pm. There may be occasional evening or weekend activities required.
Local travel to various federal agencies during the business day will be required. Some out-of-state and/or overnight travel may be required.
The Partnership is an inclusive organization that fosters learning, collaboration and respect. We actively recruit for diversity in our workplace, believing that a range of backgrounds, perspectives and experiences contributes to our mission of revitalizing government. The Partnership for Public Service is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any application for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability; or on any other basis prohibited by law.