Assistant Director of Public Works
THE CANDIDATE: The City of Bowie is seeking a proven and experienced professional to serve as its Assistant Director of Public Works. The successful candidate will have a background in public works operations, project management, and engineering. This individual will be a skilled problem solver with the ability to communicate effectively with employees at all levels of the organization, as well as City residents. This person will have the ability to effectively supervise others and achieving excellent performance.
The Assistant Director of Public Works will have a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related field. A professional engineer’s license (PE) and/or Project Management Professional certification (PMP) are preferred. Additionally, the successful candidtate will have eight years experience in Public Works, Civil Engineering or Project Management related work. Must have extensive supervisory experience.
The successful applicant will also possess the following attributes:
- Knowledge of civil engineering and construction principles, practices, and methods;
- Demonstrated skill in resolving public work issues with contractors and citizens
- Ability to provide strong and effective leadership to departmental staff and operation
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Reporting to the Director of Public Works, responsibilities of this position will include, but not be limited to:
- Directly supervising the engineering division, the Public Works inspectors, and the vehicle maintenance divisions within the Public Works Department.
- Implementing the design review, permitting, and inspection process for private development projects.
- Manage or supervise others in managing varied design and construction projects.
- Develop and oversee the development of construction documents, scopes of work, scopes of service and other requirements documents for contracting construction, maintenance and repair, and professional architect and engineering services.
- Implement inspection and maintenance procedures to ensure the City’s compliance with the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (Phase II) permit.
- Assist the Director in the management and administration of the Public Works Department.
- Serve in key incident managerial positions during City emergency events
THE PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT
With an operating budget of approximately $19 million and consisting of six operation divisions and over 100 staff members, the Public Works department provides services including street maintenance; water and wastewater treatment; maintenance of the City’s water and sewer distribution system; refuse and recycling collection; fleet maintenance and all capital improvement projects, consisting of improvements to facilities including building and parks.
Founded in 1870, and incorporated as a town in 1916, Bowie has grown from a small railroad stop to the largest municipality in Prince George’s County, and the fifth largest city in the State of Maryland, with an estimated population of 56,014. The town was first called Huntington City, though its train station was named in honor of local resident, Governor Oden Bowie, president of the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad. The town was subsequently rechartered as Bowie. In the early days, the land was subdivided by developers into more than 500 residential building lots, to create a large town site at a junction of the Baltimore and Potomac’s main line to southern Maryland, and the branch line to Washington, DC.
Salary: $100,000 – $115,000
How to Apply: please visit the city’s website at: www.cityofbowie.org and click on the employment link.
Application deadline: Open Until Filled
All applicants MUST submit a completed City of Bowie employment application in order to be considered for this opportunity.
The City of Bowie is a drug and alcohol-testing employer. EOE