Boating Safety Specialist
The American Boat & Yacht Council seeks a Standards Specialist to support the standards review and development process in the Technical Department.
- Administration of the standards review process including:
- Manage process and participation of Committees
- Coordinate and run meetings/webinars with committee members
- Prepare documents, comments and minutes for Committee meetings
- Edit standards based upon Committees direction
- Maintain and develop relationships with committee members and attendees in order to create a personal technical network to aid in answering technical questions.
- Answer email and phone based technical standard inquiries
- Assist in the maintenance of the ABYC Standards Library Online and other products
- Write articles and other content as needed.
Some travel will be required to attend and participate in industry events and committee meetings.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 1-2 Years working within the marine/boating industry
- Dynamic, engineer minded individual that can understand and communicate the technical processes including the standards
- Ability to handle long-term projects while effectively addressing the short term/immediate needs of the department
- Comfortable and confident presenting in front of a large group
- Ability to coordinate volunteers, foster relationships and complete projects on time
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Abobe Acrobat.
- Professional writing and CAD Skills are a plus
- Most importantly, the TSS must possess an unsurpassed passion and excitement about boating and supporting members to achieve the goal of making boating safer.
The American Boat & Yacht Council, ABYC, is a non-profit organization that develops and maintains safety standards for the recreational boating industry. The vision of ABYC is to maximize customer satisfaction with the boating experience through safety standards for products, service and repair.
In addition to writing standards, ABYC has the premier comprehensive education program. The education programs include seminars, workshops, Marine Technician Certification program, and standards accreditation.
ABYC's approximately 3,000 members include boat builders, boat yards, yacht brokers, marinas, service technicians, surveyors, retail marine stores, marine insurance companies, equipment manufacturers and boat owners. Both nationally and internationally, ABYC is the acknowledged authority that provides uniform standards to enhance marine manufacturing, maintenance, service and safety.