Information Technology Specialist II
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Information Technology Specialist II
The George Mason University Center for Evidence-Based Crime Policy (CEBCP), housed within the Department of Criminology, Law and Society, invites applications for Database Administrator to work in the Washington/Baltimore High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas (WBHIDTA) program. The CEBCP, founded in 2008, seeks to make scientific research a key component in decisions about crime and justice policies. The CEBCP carries out this mission by advancing rigorous studies in criminal justice and criminology through research-practice collaborations, and proactively serving as an informational and translational link to practitioners and the policy community.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The HIDTA Program is a federal grant program administered by the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) to provide resources that assist federal, state, local and tribal agencies to coordinate activities that address drug trafficking in specifically designated areas of the United States. Information and intelligence sharing are keys to successful investigations, drug treatment and prevention programs, and drug policy development.
The Mapping & Data Services Unit of the Washington/Baltimore HIDTA is responsible for data warehousing including organization and support of analytical data within the program.
This position is based in Greenbelt, MD.
Responsibilities: This position will be directly responsible to ensuring data critical to our mission is properly stored and utilized in order to support the needs of our applications and analysts. In addition to this, the position will be responsible for working with our ESRI GIS system infrastructure, which is heavily dependent on our database infrastructure. This position will be responsible for:
- Extraction, transformation and loading (ETL) of data from various data sources (both internal and external) into our analytical warehouse. This involves the use of various scripting languages such as SQL, Python & Java (and others where appropriate)
- Configuration of various analytical software that consumes our warehouse
- Fulfilling data requests from our Investigative Support Center (ISC)
- Creating reports using SQL Reporting Services
- Maintaining the database integrity of our Overdose Detection Mapping Application (ODMAP) map utility
- Supporting other applications that consume data warehouse & GIS services such as Case Explorer
- Maintaining the tuning, indexing and performance of our existing database infrastructure
- Maintaining and supporting the ESRI GIS platform
- Bachelorâ€™s in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Must be able to pass National Security background check and obtain a Secret Level security clearance.
- Experience performing ETL transactions from custom data sets to structured warehouse formats.
- Strong grasp of SQL query language
- Experience in administration of Microsoft SQL Server, including database user management, database tuning, database indexing, database replication, database migration
- Experience using reporting services such as Crystal, Active Reports or SQL Server reporting services.
- Must be able to safely and independently lift and move PCs and related computer equipment. Preferred Qualifications:
- ESRI GIS Platform;
- Microsoft SQL Server Reporting services; and
- Python, and/or Java scripting experience.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, please complete the online application and attach a cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :