Head Custodian III
The primary function of the Head Custodian III is to serve as the working leader for a middle or intermediate school with a custodial staff of seven (7) or more that performs building cleaning and facility operation work. An employee in this position leads the evening custodial team of six (6) custodians and is responsible for ensuring that a middle or intermediate school is properly cleaned and ready for the next instructional day. The Head Custodian III receives general or specific instructions from building administrators and ensures that the tasks are completed. During the school year, the Head Custodian III is the working leader of the evening custodial team, and works the same hours as the team. During school vacations and weather emergencies, the Head Custodian III serves as the working leader of the entire custodial team and works hours as determined by the building principal.
* Prepares cleaning assignments for members of the custodial cleaning team and adjusts assignments for absences due to team member sickness or vacation; performs quality control checks of cleaning team assignments and directs re-cleaning of spaces where necessary
* Follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies. Use as directed.
* Ensures that exterior maintenance duties such as grass mowing, snow plowing, bush trimming, and trash collecting are performed by the daytime custodian or the custodial team as appropriate
* Handles personnel events during the evening shift, referring discipline or poor performance issues to the building administrator
* Orders custodial supplies from Facilities Services
* Ensures that the school building is secure and that the security alarm is set when the evening shift is complete; ensures that building security checks are completed every day when school is not in session
* When assigned by the building administrator, provides building supervision for community use
* Performs related work as required
The Head Custodian III must possess the following combination of knowledge, abilities, and skills:
* Must possess leadership ability and cleaning knowledge ability
* Working knowledge of methods, materials, and practices used in building custodial work including the proper use and care of custodial equipment
* Knowledge of safe and efficient procedures for operating custodial equipment and conducting custodial operations
* Ability to train and inspect the work of the custodial team
* Ability to read, write, and maintain routine records
* Good human relations and communications skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and walk for extended periods of time; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects or tools; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; stoop, kneel, crouch or bend and may be required to lift up to approximately 50 pounds. May be exposed to extreme temperatures.